Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

The friction hinges are no doubt sweet. I couldn't justify the cost. All in all it wouldn't have made a hill of beans I think. Oh well. Live and learn.

Speaking of learning...I'd have to say I learned a lot today. No fish unfortunately, but we had a good time nonetheless.

Here's the view from the ramp. We put in at Biolab Boat Ramp in the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge.

One of the reasons I decided to try the south end was the SLS rocket for Artemis I was rolled out to the pad this week. I wanted to get a sneak peek.

I was able to get up on the platform for a bit. With my dad on the front we were balanced pretty well.

I did fall off once :oops: Was fighting the wind a good bit with where I decided to try poling and at one point to stop the drift I was gonna put the power pole down. We'll I guess it was shallower than I thought because I didn't bump it down gently but rammed it into the sand. The back end lurched up and basically flung me off. I gracefully landed in the cockpit behind the console while grabbing on to my grab bar. My landing caused the back end of the boat to dip a bit and my dad fell backwards when that happened. He landed on the gunwale deck and almost rolled out but caught himself. We got to do this in front of a live studio audience cause I had just turned around as we had met another boat poling toward the same point. :lol:

Shortly after that we decided to call it a day and made the ride back to the ramp.

Now the findings. Since I had about a 30 min ride to where we were fishing from the ramp I had a chance to check things out while running a bit. I found one of the culprits to my cavitation issues. That's the power pole and mount. It's in the water enough as it is that I think it's causing enough of a turbulence close enough to the prop such that the prop doesn't get adequate bite. I have basically zero hole shot but if I ease into it I can get up on plane and run it OK. I can raise it about 1-1.5 inches I think on the jackplate so I'll do that and see if that helps. I think the OZHydrofoil cavitation plate I have on order will help as well and try to keep water funneled over the prop.

Hatches seemed to seal ok and the gutters shedded plenty of water on the trip. We had some rough water going out and then coming back the cross wind made sure we caught every bit of the spray the boat was putting out. Never accumulated enough to activate the bilge, but I can definitely see the allure of self bailing now.

I think the highest speed I saw was 22.5 but I was not trying for speed. That was definitely not WOT, but about the most I was willing to get in unfamiliar territory.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I shifted the power pole mount up. Ended up with a about a 3 inch shift. My Solas Amita 4 also came in. It's a 10x11 4 blader. Put it on and headed to the local lake for a trial run. The power pole bracket is out of the water now so no big cavitation from that even with just me in the boat.

By myself I was able to hit 26, nearly 27mph @ 5800rpm and no porpoising. I could also trim the motor up so it was running much more efficiently with no porpoising. Seems some combination of the tweaks have helped with that. With my dad on we hit 23 almost 24 at about 5400rpm.

Looking at the motor height while on plane, I think it's pretty good. I can just see the top of the cavitation plate with it on plane and trimmed out.

While riding around I took a run over to one of the canal that connects the lake we were on with another. As with most canals it's slow speed, minimum wake. Well a boat coming the other way obviously doesn't know what that means...maybe they just can't read, but their wake was bigger than the waves I was hitting yesterday. Turned into them and took the first one, but I couldn't get the bow up by the second. Took the entire wake over the deck. Found out my bilge pump works though! :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:14 pm I shifted the power pole mount up. Ended up with a about a 3 inch shift. My Solas Amita 4 also came in. It's a 10x11 4 blader. Put it on and headed to the local lake for a trial run. The power pole bracket is out of the water now so no big cavitation from that even with just me in the boat.

By myself I was able to hit 26, nearly 27mph @ 5800rpm and no porpoising. I could also trim the motor up so it was running much more efficiently with no porpoising. Seems some combination of the tweaks have helped with that. With my dad on we hit 23 almost 24 at about 5400rpm.

Looking at the motor height while on plane, I think it's pretty good. I can just see the top of the cavitation plate with it on plane and trimmed out.

While riding around I took a run over to one of the canal that connects the lake we were on with another. As with most canals it's slow speed, minimum wake. Well a boat coming the other way obviously doesn't know what that means...maybe they just can't read, but their wake was bigger than the waves I was hitting yesterday. Turned into them and took the first one, but I couldn't get the bow up by the second. Took the entire wake over the deck. Found out my bilge pump works though! :lol:
Nice report. The only thing a SS prop will gain you is 3-4mph in top speed. Since you don't run at top speed all the time it may or not be worth it. Those Amita 4 blades are very efficient, somewhere between a high end aluminum and a SS. How are the trim tabs working for you?

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 pm
Nice report. The only thing a SS prop will gain you is 3-4mph in top speed. Since you don't run at top speed all the time it may or not be worth it. Those Amita 4 blades are very efficient, somewhere between a high end aluminum and a SS. How are the trim tabs working for you?

Tom
I do want to go to SS eventually mainly for durability. Where I plan to fish I think I'll be doing a lot of learning the ways around by feeling... :lol: Overton's had this particular size and pitch Amita 4 on clearance for 45 bucks I think it was. Seemed like a no brainer to get to try a new prop out for that cheap.

It seems some combination of the trim tabs and the 4 blade prop has solved my porpoising problem, so I'd say they're doing good. Remember they're the SLT tabs so only spring loaded, but I do have them set in the weakest position of the 3 setting options.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Mojosmantra wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:43 pm Jeff - I assume you are referring to hatch stays or gas struts. I looked at both options and yes, struts (SS) for my 3 hatches was going to run about $200. I chose to go with the spring stays since I don’t really need any lift assist and I just want the lid to stay open - and not accidentally get forced too open to where something has to give. I think I paid $15 each for the stays (304 SS) from boat outfitters (really like this company). Just received them and they appear to be high quality. I wish they were 316, but we’ll see.
Thanks Trent, appreciate that, I'll start hunting those down. That's exactly what I wanted, just something to hold them open, no lift-assist needed.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:19 pm
TomW1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Tom
I do want to go to SS eventually mainly for durability. Where I plan to fish I think I'll be doing a lot of learning the ways around by feeling... :lol: Overton's had this particular size and pitch Amita 4 on clearance for 45 bucks I think it was. Seemed like a no brainer to get to try a new prop out for that cheap.

It seems some combination of the trim tabs and the 4 blade prop has solved my porpoising problem, so I'd say they're doing good. Remember they're the SLT tabs so only spring loaded, but I do have them set in the weakest position of the 3 setting options.
Okay when you are ready to go to a SS let me know and I will run it through my prop calc. You should only need to change pitch by an inch or two. And you might want to change the tabs to the med. setting for the increased speed. But lets not worry about this now.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:19 pm Yeah so it was pretty straight forward.

I filled out HSMV 87002 and brought my reciepts. Basically they want the HULL, DECKS/RIGGING, and MACHINERY/ENGINES filled out to correlate with the vendors of the reciepts you've brought. Basically all the receipts prove is you paid tax on the materials that you claim went into the fabrication of the hull. I didn't have to submit it to FWC for inspection because it is under 16ft. No photos had to be provided.

I did leave engine blank and stated that I haven't decided on a motor yet. I have one, but I've been on the lookout for a newer (than 1996) model 2 stroke Yamaha. They questioned me on that a bit because they said they could not proceed without knowing the engine type and fuel. I said that it would most definitely be a gas outboard and there was no way it could be anything else. They accepted that and moved forward.

The guidance states to bring HSMV 82040 as well, and I did, but they did not use my copy because they already have the necessary info from the first form.

All in all it was pretty straight forward. This was in Orange County, FL, so of course your mileage may vary.
Hey Cameron - I'm filling out this paperwork now. Form 87002 indicates that receipts must contain the signature of the seller. That makes no sense. Did you have to provide that? How many receipts did you provide? My filing system (the console of my truck) was recently broken into and for some reason, they took all my receipts. I do have the original "kit" receipt from BBC. I assume that, since you didn't have a motor at the time of your registration, you didn't need a receipt for that, correct?

Interesting that they didn't require form 82040 - that is a much more complicated form.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

They didn't say anything about signatures. I used mostly printouts of order confirmation emails. Just made sure it showed who it was from and showed taxes paid. That's what they're looking for.

I definitely did not provide every single reciept, but the bigger ticket items like plywood, fiberglass, resin, and paint. The things that truly make up the hull and deck are what I used.

Regarding the motor they accepted my statement saying that it was definitely set up for a gas outboard and that was good enough for filling out that field on the title. If you have a reciept or bill of sale I would definitely include it.

82040 will be filled out by them based on the information in the completed 87002 and the hull number they assign you.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Did you list Amazon as the "Deck/Rigging" supplier? :D

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Lol nope! Just picked one of my reciepts I had printed out and told them it was for that. From my standpoint I had stuff to cover the deck, and the fact it has bow eyes or cleats or hinges and latches makes no difference for the purposes of titling and registering a functional hull.

My advice is to take the bare minimum information that you feel comfortable saying constitutes the boat you just built. If they push back you can obviously go to the nth degree, but I really didn't see them caring that much.

There are people retitling Gheenoes without titles as homebuilts everyday. If they're not stopping that, then not having every 5 dollar Amazon reciept isn't the end of the world.