Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:54 pm Good call! I'll check on that for the MarinEpoxy. I'm going on an overnight trip tomorrow, but I'll be back Sunday. Might still have time.
Also, you can do a "hot coat" to extend your re-coat time: just brush on a thin coat of raw epoxy wherever the cloth will go to keep the surface "alive" for another cycle. Far, far, far better than waiting for cure and sanding!

Edit: and if you do end up needing to wait and sand, let it cure hard and use a good mask when you sand to avoid epoxy sensitivity, something you may want to read up on if you're not familiar.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah, I have a Honeywell half mask respirator. I lucked out and found one in stock one night on Amazon. I think they're starting to become more available again.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Talk about peer pressure!

Just wet out the rest of the hull. Letting it get tacky then I'll be applying the cloth. 8)

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I think I might be a little crazy for making such a last minute decision to go ahead and apply the cloth at 9PM, but I think it turned out well.

Now to let it all cure, I'm gonna rest a bit, and I need to decide if I should go ahead and glass up the sides or not. I'm thinking the 6oz tape would be ok. Maybe to encapsulate the rubrails.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

After review this morning, I've noticed a few small bubbles formed on the chine. Ordered some 5ml syringes with needle(blunt) tips to work on injecting them to get them solid. I don't think any of them are worth grinding off and patching.

Wonder if MarinEpoxy thins with Acetone?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:38 am After review this morning, I've noticed a few small bubbles formed on the chine. Ordered some 5ml syringes with needle(blunt) tips to work on injecting them to get them solid. I don't think any of them are worth grinding off and patching.

I would not do that, the acetone won't have any way to evaporate after you inject it. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't thin epoxy with solvent anyway, but especially in this case. You can thin it by warming it up, you'll just have to use small batches and move fast.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

joe2700 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:38 am After review this morning, I've noticed a few small bubbles formed on the chine. Ordered some 5ml syringes with needle(blunt) tips to work on injecting them to get them solid. I don't think any of them are worth grinding off and patching.

I would not do that, the acetone won't have any way to evaporate after you inject it. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't thin epoxy with solvent anyway, but especially in this case. You can thin it by warming it up, you'll just have to use small batches and move fast.
I do believe most can be thinned with solvents a very small amount, but at a hit to strength. In this case I just need to fill the gap, but I do agree it would be difficult for the solvent to evaporate. Heating up the resin may be the trick...if it's even needed. Just thought that might help ensure the entire bubble is filled. If I do weep holes in the percieved extremity that should be good enough.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 pm I think I might be a little crazy for making such a last minute decision to go ahead and apply the cloth at 9PM, but I think it turned out well.
Looks great from here, and, you just saved yourself a lot of sanding and got a better bond by taking the big bite, nice work!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:06 pm Talk about peer pressure!
From total strangers no less. I could be a boat-bot!

:wink:

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Hey Jeff,

I'm starting to think ahead on making my own poling platform. Since you've already designed yours, I was wondering if you'd considered any other designs before going with what you did?

Kinda thinking about fiberglass tubes. Maybe buying the braided sleeving and making some curved molds to form them on.