Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Man, it's been half a month since I posted an update. Seems like an eternity compared to my other posts. One weekend was occupied by traveling back to Alabama for a family reunion, but the rest I've been hard at it.

One perk of heading home to 'Bama is I got my transom bracket from my uncle. It looks great! I'm thinking of doing a black epoxy fill on the inset.

First thing after coming back was to finish out the motor well to transom transition after installing the deck. Somehow or somewhere I changed the width and so I had to make it all line up.

Fortunately it was right at 3/8" so I massaged a piece to fit and fill in the void.

After they were glued in I reformed the radius to blend it to the transom.

Then I had to radius the rub rail to terminate it.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Also got the poling platform and console painted. Went with the same grey as the hull.

I also think I'm going to do the inside walls of the cockpit in the same grey and then the floor and deck in white. Gotta figure out the transitions though.

Next I worked on getting the gunnel deck pieces in. I made up a center support that will also align with the rod holders.

Decided to make some smaller ones to bridge the span between the deck and the center support. Here I'm checking the clearance of my support to some rods. Also just barely cleared the floor. I seemed to have done alright in positioning them.

And then they went in for good.

In order to try to get rid of some of the boxes taking up space that is quickly becoming a premium due to baby stuff I assembled the parts that I could into the console. Everything else will go in once installed in place.

And now the gunnel decks going in.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I like the "build a boat as a means to clear the garage of boxes" mentality. Dan S is building a boat as a means to clear a parking space for his Mrs. Whatever it takes!

So, couple thoughts:

Great progress Cameron! Your poling platform looks a lot like mine. I like the raised edges, I may try to incorporate something similar.

The name plate looks great on the boat, that's a sweet detail.

Good question on how to transition the white sole to the grey sides/console, that's a brain-teaser for sure! I like personally the "rand" look where the sole color comes a few inches up the walls all the way around, maybe including the console. I did something similar on my drift boat, I'll try to dig up a pic.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah I'd like to see what you mean.

Im thinking along the sole floor I could do it inboard of the transition, basically where it appears that only the anti skid is white. My bigger concern is the roll off from the deck to the cockpit. I'm not gonna do any bright trim, but I might create a small lip the same height as the gunnel deck thickness.(It's not done yet, but I'm gonna double the thickness around the inside edge so it looks thicker.) There I can break the color up at the lip kinda like on the rub rail along the outside. I just won't have a rubrail to hide any messiness so it will have to be pristine.

Or I just paint it all white and not worry about it. :lol:

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I'd love to discuss over some beers or VT apple brandy the best way to terminate paint in the cockpit. Good news is that there is no wrong answer.

Finish on the platform and the console looks amazing. Is that Easy-Poxy? I love the gray, and searching for the same color, but not gloss.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah it's Petit EZ-Poxy in Platinum with the Performance Enhancer(mmm isocyanates) on the final coat.

Petit used to have a flattening additive but I don't think they market it anymore.

Edit: I think some other brands call it whisper grey.
Last edited by bamaguy0 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Not a great photo, boat is stashed for the season, but you can see how the blue floor comes up the side a few inches. Same on the rowers seat.

Grey except for the non-skid could be very cool, would that be on the deck as well?
Attachments
20211115_165905.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:46 pm I'd love to discuss over some beers or VT apple brandy
Now your talking! I'm gettin.low, better hide yours!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm Not a great photo, boat is stashed for the season, but you can see how the blue floor comes up the side a few inches. Same on the rowers seat.

Grey except for the non-skid could be very cool, would that be on the deck as well?
I see, that might be a fall back plan.

Nah entire deck will be white, but I may do grey seadek in some strategic locations. I'm thinking on the fore deck hatch lids at least.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

So here's my plan for the corners.

Aft corner is just a simple radius.

Forward I am planning this angle with radius blends.

It'll also be deeper too. Ill also run a strip under the entire deck to make it appear thicker as well.

Option would be to add this strip like so. I could use the strip to be the break in color. It would be white then under it would be grey. I'd have to have to break it up because of the hatch gutter. I think that's why I don't like this idea.