Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

I have 0 doubt that your machine will perform flawlessly. Looking forward to observing it first hand. The time is drawing near!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Btw you still need to send me your plans!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Not a lot of progress this week as dad duties have taken priority.

One of the bigger accomplishments was troubleshooting the baitwell. If you recall I believe I mentioned it leaked in the first checkout on the water. The design utilizes the FlowRite QwikLok system which are locking quick disconnects. I had a small drip at the transom side of the overflow line that was noted shortly after putting in and once I filled the baitwell up, had significant water intrusion into the bilge area. Well in setting out to troubleshoot it I removed the overflow fitting on the transom side and the tank side just fell off. I think that explains the major intrusion as I never checked the bilge area until the well was full and recirculating with extra spilling out. I filled the well half full and ran the recirc pump for a few minutes with no leaks. I then made sure to grease the overflow fittings up real good (which is what I thought all the transom side needed to fix the small drip), reconnected, then filled to the point of overflowing. I plugged the outlet at the transom to make sure the hose filled up and no leaks were present. Seems like problem solved!

I wanted to get this resolved before installing the PowerPole because of access to the bilge from outside the boat. Seems I'm on a go path to get the PowerPole hung this weekend!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:53 pm I removed the overflow fitting on the transom side and the tank side just fell off.
I don't know much(anything) about baitwells but that sounds like a problem! ;)
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:42 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:53 pm I removed the overflow fitting on the transom side and the tank side just fell off.
I don't know much(anything) about baitwells but that sounds like a problem! ;)
Yup! That quick disconnect was a blind mate and I could have sworn that I double and triple checked it when I put all the hoses on, but mistakes happen and it was an easy one to resolve. I'll take those anyday!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Got the Power Pole mounted today. Had a leak at one of my fittings that I thought might have been attributed to an overpressure from the pump check valves not working, but ended up just being the fittings itself. Swapped fittings and all was well. The correct momentary On-Off-On switch also came in today, so got that put in.

https://youtu.be/X0qUbYalyTA
Jackplate mount had loosened up, that's why it was shaky at the end.

That about wraps up the big stuff. Gonna try to get the new motor fired up tomorrow for a bit, and start work on mounting the grab bar...baby permitting. :lol:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

That is one tricked out boat right there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I totally agree. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

It all looks kinda silly if I can't get fish in the boat, so we'll see. Been working on getting gear ready for the first real outing as well. Looking like that will be 3/19 at the latest while my parents are in town for the weekend to see baby girl.

Took her to the gas station today for a proper fillup to dilute any remaining 2stroke gas. Got home to fire her up and the primer bulb didn't have enough suck to fill the water separator filter I pulled the filter and filled it with what lawnmower gas I had left and had to supplement with some of the 2stroke. From what I've read it doesn't really affect much. After filling the filter and reinstalling it didn't take long to get it primed. Fired her up and ran on muffs for a few minutes. Everything seems to be looking good. NMEA2k network is reporting data to the chartplotter so that's cool. Now I just need to get going on mounting the grab bar and all the big things are done.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You might already know this but I found holding the primer bulb vertical makes a huge difference. That lets the check valve work with gravity. Learned this after two of us squeezed the bulb till our forearms cramped.