Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:57 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:32 pm Huge Congrats Cameron! That's some great news, very glad to hear that all are well!

Now that the whole baby business has been resolved its back to the task! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D
Unless you are nothing like me I am afraid the baby business is never over. :roll:
None of my own but I've heard it can be nearly as tine-consuming as boat building! And potentially even more rewarding!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

bamaguy congrats on the new helper coming into the family. Glad all went well and mother and baby is home are home. Any pics? The boat looks great.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Congrats Cameron! What’s her name? And yes, I mean both of them :wink:

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Her name is Rebekah. Think I'll hold off on photos for now. Maybe in the future when she's able to take a ride out on the boat.

Can't say I have an official boat name, but one of my favorite movies is Forrest Gump, so I jokingly say the boats name is "Jenny".

Got the updated registration numbers applied, and have been knocking out all the little tasks to tidy her up with my dad this past weekend and into today. I think with what we've been able to do she is ready to get wet tomorrow! Will post some pics then. I have a new trolling motor unit and shaft to install. Gonna go set her in the water to see if I can cut the 48" shaft down to 42" or even 36". After a short dockside checkout and measure, I'll load her up, bring her home, finish that out and then go back out for a first run. We might get all that in tomorrow, but I think we're scheduled to get some family photos in tomorrow as well while my sis is in town also.

Be on the lookout for a wall of photos! 8)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Standing by!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Well I would call it a success! We were able to launch and check some stuff out. Measured how long I wanted to make the new trolling motor shaft (decided on cutting 6 inches for a 42" shaft), and filled up the livewell to see how it worked out. I idled around a bit, but didn't want to get far from dock without a trolling motor. I'm not super confident in the motor. It died on me a couple times. Ill have to see how we do at speed tomorrow.

The Flow Rite livewell fittings did leak, so I have to figure out what's going on with that. Maybe I wore out the orings mocking stuff up during the build. For now I will plug the transom fitting so I don't get any excess water in the bilge. The transom fitting was just a drip, but once I filled the livewell there was much more that entered the bilge area.

Photo dump!

Decided the roller at the winch didn't make much sense for how it was set up. Got just a bow stop. I think this will work much better.

Last edited by bamaguy0 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Dancing emoji!

Looks great man. Big month for you that you’ll always remember. Good for you and congrats.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Huge congrats Cameron! Boat looks totally professional, great great work! How did the stability and feel compare to your expectations?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Thanks guys! Can't wait to open her up tomorrow. I'll also go to the scale tomorrow as well.

Stability isn't too bad. It's obviously a small boat, but I can stand anywhere in the boat. I definitely make slow and deliberate movements to limit the jerkiness, but I think it will be easy to get used to.

I think I will get a grab bar hoop fabricated for the console. I had a tendency to grab the depth finder unit for stability while walking around and I know that's not a good habit to get into.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

On another note, it took nearly submerging the entire fenders to get the boat off the trailer. I think that was to be expected, but I'd like to improve that. Will be looking at ways to lower the bunks and maybe torsion axles which typically lower the frame as well vs leaf spring axles.