Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Yeah i see what you're saying. I was editing my post somewhat. Not sure what you saw or didn't. I've been studying that a lot. I think my green cross braces would support that pretty well.

If I had to do it again, I would have redesigned the joint locations for this aft hatch gutter setup. I threw it together with little to no consideration for how it was going to be supported.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I've actually got 2 trains of thought.

I lean towards green because it's a shorter run, so effectively stiffer, lighter, and still provides support.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I was thinking of a support perpendicular to your "purple" line, sistered onto the hatch frame and extending to the gunwhale...not sure what you think about that. It looks to me that that particular cantilever has no back span and the moment connection is only glue...I think the sister would work nicely unless there is a layout issue that's keeping you from doing that.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

This is what I'm trying to describe...

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

That's an option too, but my thought on that is it isn't much better because it's then just cantilevered out off the gunwale, right? I felt that option required another vertical post to the floor.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

It would be glued at both ends - so not cantilevered - but still just glue. The angle of the gunwhale would play in your favor. Your purple line is the same concept but does have more opportunity for a positive connection (dowels?) if you felt like that was needed. Either one would resolve it I think.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I think I'm starting to see where you're coming from.

I'll mock some pieces up this weekend...

Good discussion. I've stared at that area almost every night for the few weeks that I've been working this aft hatch stuff and had internal dialogue about whether it's fine or not. I had begun to convince myself it was fine, but if someone else shows concern then that's enough to sway my vote.

The answer is something must be done, all that's left is deciding how to do it!

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I was just imagining standing on that point and wondering what keeps it from flexing. Should be a simple fix - looks like you have a few options.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

And it could very well be that the plywood alone can handle that span and I'm making something out of nothing...

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 pm And it could very well be that the plywood alone can handle that span and I'm making something out of nothing...
That is what I was hanging my hat on, but with the way the gutter pieces are simply butt bonded together, any flexing will result in cracks over time. I have to limit the amount the deck flexes, that much is true. Adding support helps that. Better to add a little more now than wish I had later.