Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Not a lot to show off this week. Mostly been wiring. Also added doublers under the deck where the poling platform and center seat/leaning post will be.

I ordered some blue and green wire last weekend and it still hasn't shown up. That's all I'm waiting on to finish out the hydraulic pump relay harness. I'm afraid USPS has lost the package.

Had an uh oh happen today...

So with the hatch design that connects gutters the entire length of the deck, the shallow spot in the gutter is a weak spot. It's been flexible and I've been meaning to reinforce it. Well after installing the doublers and making the deck heavier, the same way I've been handling it resulted in a CRACK...ugh.

Well I doubled it up with a strip of 6mm ply. Seems to be much stiffer now. I'll need to work on the crack some once I epoxy coat the top side, but I think it'll be fine going forward.

And I decided how to support the deck/hatch where it's kinda hanging out in no man's land. Bonding that in place now.

Tomorrow might be a cleanup day...it's getting bad.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:32 pm I just keep thinking "man that is a lot of stuff packed in a 14 foot boat"
That is going to be one nice boat :wink:
Yeah...we'll see how she sits in the water once complete. Might have to put 'er on a diet after the maiden. Though I have seen Gheenoes loaded with just as many features or more so I feel like I'll be OK.
Last edited by bamaguy0 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

6mm laminated on the back of that will be bomb proof.

Better to have that opportunity to beef it up now rather than later.

I scrolled back a few pages to see how you molded the live well, but couldn’t find it. Sorry if I missed it.

Did you pull it from a mold or laminate over plywood?

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

It was laminated over plywood. I thought about making a foam plug and then molding it, but just decided to keep it simple.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I said I would clean up and I did! Tossed most of the scrap wood underneath the trailer and out of the way. Put some tools up. We'll see how long it takes to get messy again. :lol:

Poling platform is off getting new feet welded on the trimmed legs, so I thought I'd start working on the platform deck. There were a bunch of holes in the side for the white all around light. Thought I'd clean that up first. I countersunk the holes a little to give them more surface area for a filler to bite to then mixed up some epoxy with milled fiber and fumed silica to get a good fibrous paste.

I'm gonna clean the whole thing up, sand this repair flush, apply some quikfair over a few places, then prime and paint the same hull grey color.

Worked on the seat mounting a bit. Ordered some mushroom attachment disks...i think that's what they're called. It's kinda like hook and loop except both sides are the same style and they interlock. Its pretty strong! For the back I mounted them straight to the back and they line up with the perimeter of the access hatch frame. Just screwed them into the plastic.

For the seat bottom, I made 2 frame pieces that I'll screw to the seat bottom. This spaces it off the console and clear the round hatch. I'll attach the discs directly to the frame and the console. I epoxy coated these already so I'll just need to prime and paint these to match the console.

And my wire order came in yesterday! Went from nowhere to be found on 10/11 to my mailbox yesterday. It's a halloween miracle!

Ran the wires for the anchor hydraulic motor and now working on the switch system. I'm putting in a wireless relay board so I can deploy the anchor and trim the motor with a wireless fob. I'll also have trim on the throttle control and I'm going to hide a switch for the anchor control under the deck near the box as a manual override if the wireless relay fails. It is an Amazon special afterall... :lol: I did at least power it on and cycle the relays a few times to make sure which button on the remote corresponded to which relay and to verify mode of operation. You can set it to operate in 3 different ways depending on how 3 pins are shorted together. Momentary, which is what I'm using, latching, and another one that I didn't quite understand.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

You are completely unchallenged for the Whizbang award! Great stuff!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:45 pm You are completely unchallenged for the Whizbang award! Great stuff!
Let's hope it all works! :lol:

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Can you come over and wire my nav lights for me? This three way switch has me puzzled. :lol:

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 pm Can you come over and wire my nav lights for me? This three way switch has me puzzled. :lol:
Not sure how much you're joking vs serious, but the ticket is a DPDT switch where the white all around is tied to both poles and the R/G nav are only tied to one.

Admittedly it's a little easier said than done because you still need to stack wires on terminals. These multi stack terminal connectors make it a little easier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NI3DGW/re ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm using those to tie 2 switch signals into one relay trigger point for the tilt n trim and power pole anchor relays as well.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I was partly joking. I am electrically challenged and your work is blowing my mind.