Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by cape man »

Wow!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 pm Feel like I got a lot done, but I feel like I have just as much to go. Just been chipping away this week at getting everything installed.

Speaker and cockpit lighting went in.

I don't know what to call these other than strike plates. My hatch latches aren't really the striking kind, but I wanted to protect the gutter underside, so I made 4" pieces of angle aluminum and screwed them into place.

I temp installed the console and tidied up the wire routing, made sure my runs from fuse to switch and then switch out were all good. I terminated a few more wires. The rest will have to wait until I install the console for good. This will definitely help speed things up when I get to that point...and I'm close.

After I took the console back out I decided to test out my circuitry. I used alligator clip jumpers to act at the switches. I connected the house battery and checked my lights and pumps out. Everything seems to work as it should.

Started working on finishing off the hatches. Got my seal in place. I like the size and design. Its a D shape. I notched pieces in it to make the corner bends.

Got latches installed and set.

And I got hinges on the front hatches installed.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas tomorrow. It's been a little different for us this year because we would either be in Houston or Alabama, but with my wife so far along traveling was out of the picture. Taking tomorrow off for a day trip and then I'm sure I'll be back at it on Sunday.
Looking great Cameron.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Looking great, wiring is one of my favorite parts, so satisfying!

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Good progress on getting her together. Not quite ready yet though, but the list is getting smaller.

Hatches are all done. I do need to get the spring holders to keep them open. I may even put a gas piston on the large one. We'll see.

Then I got the console mounted. Wiring it all up took a few days.

I made a quick vid of the radio and electrics. Not bad for a $70 radio and $20 speakers.
https://youtu.be/d6nYF-xOtn4

Then I got the helm and throttle controls installed. I honestly thought getting the steering installed was going to be my "pucker factor" moment, but it was actually a breeze.

I didn't like the incandecent gauge backlights, so I got some blue LEDs for it.

I think I mentioned a while back that my motor didn't pee the last time I ran it, so I dropped the lower unit to do a waterpump change. Found some interesting things while I tore into it. The impeller had a lobe that was half flipped and gaskets were in the wrong locations. I ended up needing more parts than the standard pump kit because the lower housing was gross and the upper housing was cracked so I was waiting on parts to arrive. Got all that back together and now I'm getting the motor installed.

This motor was a jerry-rigged remote setup when I bought it. Somehow had a remote throttle with an aluminum bar for steering. I'm installing the real Tohatsu remote kit now.

Also had to take a couple days to rearrange the garage to accomodate the boat with the motor, so that's now done as well. 8)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am still amazed at the amount of stuff you have in that boat. Pretty sure I have 32 foot boats that are simpler. :lol:

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:31 pm I am still amazed at the amount of stuff you have in that boat. Pretty sure I have 32 foot boats that are simpler. :lol:
:lol:

...I'm hoping I don't regret it...

I've seen some similarly loaded Gheenoe LT25s. Seems like we would have about the same buoyancy seeing as they're narrower, but longer.

My Power Pole anchor parts are still at the powdercoater. Maybe I go float it before mounting it and see how she sits.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Well I thought I was at least gonna try to take her out tomorrow and putt around a bit at least.

Buuuuut, I broke the hose nipple on the fuel pump changing out the fuel lines...guess we'll be waiting till next week.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Heartbreaker! The longest timespan is the one between your boat being splash-ready and your boat getting splashed! Looking forward to launch pics/video!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I did push through the disappointment and got the motor wired up to the console.

I had to at least check it out. :D

https://youtu.be/S0AWsFT3IaY

Also got the hoses connected to the fuel tank. I almost let the filler neck hose beat me, but after a few cramps and some blood letting I was victorious.

Rub rail and poling platform is all that's left. Was gonna forego that for a first splash, but I guess we'll push on and she'll be done-done when she gets wet.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

This is a cliffhanger, any status update? Are you a Dad yet?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie