Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Well it appears it will work out ok.

The steering cable really wants to come thru the deck right where the poling platform base is, but I am able to pull it up and in a bit to a better location. Getting it installed for the final time might be a little tough, but I tried holding it in place where it would come thru the deck when pulling it back out of the motor tube and it seemed ok.

I don't need hydraulic steering...I don't need hydraulic steering...I don't need hydraulic steering :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No You Don't, No You don't, No you don't, no you don't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I found the cable steering cable no stiffer than rebar, not sure what the big fuss is all aboot!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:27 pm I found the cable steering cable no stiffer than rebar, not sure what the big fuss is all aboot!
You'd think with all these new materials and whatnot they would figure out a way to make those cables more flexible. I guess the new thing is hydraulic control. Only peasants use mechanical steering now a days.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:27 pm I found the cable steering cable no stiffer than rebar, not sure what the big fuss is all aboot!
You'd think with all these new materials and whatnot they would figure out a way to make those cables more flexible. I guess the new thing is hydraulic control. Only peasants use mechanical steering now a days.
I didn't even look into hydraulic steering, I guess I assume it was out of price range etc, maybe I should have, have you?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Guys here is the BayStar Hydraulic system including a chart of motors and there systems that would fit the motor. http://www.seastarsolutions.com/product ... w/baystar/ Hope this helps you out. You will have to go to a vendor to find out what it will cost. Seriously it will be in the $600+ range. Also very few for 25HP motors.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

The problem with 25hp and under is that they use a clamp style attachment with optional bolts in the lower portion of the bracket. The way the ram attaches to the pivot tube can cause issues with hitting the clamp knobs when tilting.

There are some cheaper options on amazon under 500, but it's a crapshoot on if it'd actually work reliably assuming the ram actually clears the clamps.

I think I'd be ok with my separate tilt and trim bracket, but it's a tough sell at 600 bucks.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I hit another major milestone this week! Aft deck is in!

First up, I needed to bond the livewell tank to the deck. Unfortunately in my rush to reinforce the flexing gutter, I glued the strip of ply right over top of where the flange of my livewell was going to be bonded. Ooops

So I marked how much needed to be removed and pulled out the router.

Done with the bulk removal.

And sanded a little smoother.

Apparently I didn't take any photos of gluing the livewell in. I supported the deck with some extra boards spanning across the front deck and Frame D. I did it upside down and just cleaned up the squeezeout into the livewell from underneath.

Then I bonded down the aft deck. Granite comes in handy once again to apply even pressure for the curing.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:56 am I hit another major milestone this week! Aft deck is in!
Way to crush it Cameron, work looks great. I'll go ahead and assume that you ran in the kitchen with a sledge hammer, smashed apart the counters, at 1:15 AM, screaming "I need more weight!!!!". Build at all costs!

How's the critical path looking? BTW, I have a (very corny) boat name idea for you, assuming the boat is done slightly before the kid is born:

"The Maternity Ward"

Wife calls, screaming "Cameron, Where the !@#$ are you, I'm in frigging labor!!!!"

"Honey, I'm right here, in The Maternity Ward"

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:58 am
Way to crush it Cameron, work looks great. I'll go ahead and assume that you ran in the kitchen with a sledge hammer, smashed apart the counters, at 1:15 AM, screaming "I need more weight!!!!". Build at all costs!
Hah! They are actually pieces used as part of the centerpieces for the dining tables at our wedding. The planner let us keep some. They were at my parent's house until last Thanksgiving when my dad told me to take them or else. I didn't really want them, but my wife did...so I found a use for them :lol:

How's the critical path looking? BTW, I have a (very corny) boat name idea for you, assuming the boat is done slightly before the kid is born:

"The Maternity Ward"

Wife calls, screaming "Cameron, Where the !@#$ are you, I'm in frigging labor!!!!"

"Honey, I'm right here, in The Maternity Ward"
That's great! :lol:

I honestly go through waves of confidence I can finish and uncertainty. I think I need to map it out, but in general the next few steps will be to do some prep work in the cockpit area before I put the gunwale deck pieces on.

The motorwell needs some work to finish that out now that the deck is on.

Electrical is good, just need to get the console on and wire up the switches.

Fuel tank is basically ready to go in.

All the hatch lids are doubled, just need to round edges, cut hole for latch and route pockets for hinges.

At my work we have a tongue-in-cheek saying if we're working on a design and have to pass it off for someone else to finish: "The design is done, you just have to detail it." Knowing good and well detailing takes just as much if not more time. I feel like I'm in a similar situation here: The building is done, I just have to finish it. :lol: