Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by pee wee »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:10 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm Not a great photo, boat is stashed for the season, but you can see how the blue floor comes up the side a few inches. Same on the rowers seat.

Grey except for the non-skid could be very cool, would that be on the deck as well?
I see, that might be a fall back plan.

Nah entire deck will be white, but I may do grey seadek in some strategic locations. I'm thinking on the fore deck hatch lids at least.
I see you are located in Florida. Light colors are best for the deck because they don't get as hot in the sun, but pure white will be hard on the eyes. I would go with at least an off-white. Just a suggestion.
Hank

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

pee wee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:09 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:10 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:01 pm Not a great photo, boat is stashed for the season, but you can see how the blue floor comes up the side a few inches. Same on the rowers seat.

Grey except for the non-skid could be very cool, would that be on the deck as well?
I see, that might be a fall back plan.

Nah entire deck will be white, but I may do grey seadek in some strategic locations. I'm thinking on the fore deck hatch lids at least.
I see you are located in Florida. Light colors are best for the deck because they don't get as hot in the sun, but pure white will be hard on the eyes. I would go with at least an off-white. Just a suggestion.
Hmm good to know. Even with antiskid texture? I understand its more of a reflection thing, right? Maybe semigloss white?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

It's like so many other things, compromise. Glossy paint holds up better in weather, as the flatting agents (my father-in-law worked for a paint company and instructed me that it's not flattening agent, it's flatting. Whatever. :roll: ) used to reduce gloss allow moisture into the paint film. You are right about the non skid softening the glare, maybe you'd be okay with that . . . I still would avoid bright white paint- for both being easier on the eyes and for not showing dirt as much! As long as you don't stray too far from white, it will still look white in contrast to your second color.
Hank

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

pee wee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am It's like so many other things, compromise. Glossy paint holds up better in weather, as the flatting agents (my father-in-law worked for a paint company and instructed me that it's not flattening agent, it's flatting. Whatever. :roll: ) used to reduce gloss allow moisture into the paint film. You are right about the non skid softening the glare, maybe you'd be okay with that . . . I still would avoid bright white paint- for both being easier on the eyes and for not showing dirt as much! As long as you don't stray too far from white, it will still look white in contrast to your second color.
Good points. Thanks!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

pee wee wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am As long as you don't stray too far from white, it will still look white in contrast to your second color.
Agreed here: I thought that my oyster white was going to look beige but it looks......white.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Good to know. The quart I bought when I thought that was going to be enough is pure white. I'm thinking maybe I go buy a quart of more off white or cream and mix them together. Maybe that will still be enough off white to not be super bright, and still make use of the quart of white I do have.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 pm I'd have to have to break it up because of the hatch gutter. I think that's why I don't like this idea.
I think it would not be too much work to make the trim follow that hatch gutter but I also don't think breaking it up would look bad, esp if the trim was radiused into the gutters like you did on the transom with the rubrail. Worth mocking up?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm
bamaguy0 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 pm I'd have to have to break it up because of the hatch gutter. I think that's why I don't like this idea.
I think it would not be too much work to make the trim follow that hatch gutter but I also don't think breaking it up would look bad, esp if the trim was radiused into the gutters like you did on the transom with the rubrail. Worth mocking up?
Yeah I think I will tonight.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Eureka! I think I've gotten it.

This one is a little shorter, but the depth of the gutter is 1-7/8", so I'll make it 2" tall and fully notch out the gutter with a nice radius all around. Then the strip and everything above it will be white. Everything below is grey. On the sides I cant make a 2" tall strip all the way around so I'll transition it to 1" in the corners and do a little blend underneath where no one will see unless they look for it. I think it'll look pretty good!

I will have to make a notch to clear my speakers but that's only a minor inconvenience.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Got everything glued up under the gunnel deck this week. Worked today at cleaning it all up. Also building up the rub rail a bit in some areas to get it level with the deck. Couple areas where the rub rail strips were about 1/8" below the deck level. Just filling that with thicknened epoxy to get the bulk built up. Probably won't be perfectly smooth so I'll do a skim of quickfair as needed. Also had a couple spots where the gunnel deck didn't align with the fore and aft deck on the right side. That will need some work to flush it up before glassing.

I'll be sanding tomorrow to see where I stand. Hopefully I'm close and can work in a glass job before Thanksgiving.