Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 am Cameron - that’s great progress and it looks really good. I’ve never used a “round” bit and am struggling to understand how you “guided” it. Can you share a little more on what bit you used and that methodology?
If you're talking about to round the bottom, it just has a rounded end instead of a square cut. Still has the bearing on the shank side to guide you.
This is the bit I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HMD7S2/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

Oh - I see. A round nose pattern bit. Didn’t know that existed. Thanks a lot.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Sorry I'm not up on my router bit terminology :lol:

Yeah I think I searched rounded bit with bearing or something like that. Not many come up. Lowes and Home Depot don't carry them in stores. Even Rockler Woodworking had one but it was online only.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

I will add that the round nose is not without it's downfalls. It's 3/4 dia and I'm making a 1" wide slot. That means I run it on both sides and get a small ridge in the middle. It's not really noticeable, but you can definitely feel it. I'll probably try to sand on it a little to smooth it out,but for the most part I'm just rolling with it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Woodworking tip on this one...

Assuming you used a guide to make your 3/4" wide gutter.
Move the guide in by 1/8" and lower the bit by 1/8" (increase depth of cut).
Run down the gutter.
That should give you a slightly stepped but smooth final groove to hold your gasket.

Sanding down there will be very hard.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:42 am Woodworking tip on this one...

Assuming you used a guide to make your 3/4" wide gutter.
Move the guide in by 1/8" and lower the bit by 1/8" (increase depth of cut).
Run down the gutter.
That should give you a slightly stepped but smooth final groove to hold your gasket.

Sanding down there will be very hard.
Hey Jaysen, I'm not following on this one. I picked a gasket that is just a D shape with PSA to stick down to the top of the inside lip. Is that no good?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am I will add that the round nose is not without it's downfalls. It's 3/4 dia and I'm making a 1" wide slot. That means I run it on both sides and get a small ridge in the middle. It's not really noticeable, but you can definitely feel it. I'll probably try to sand on it a little to smooth it out,but for the most part I'm just rolling with it.
Seaslug talked about letting the epoxy collect at the bottom of the gutter when coating the sides, it will self-level and probably hide that ridge.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:32 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am I will add that the round nose is not without it's downfalls. It's 3/4 dia and I'm making a 1" wide slot. That means I run it on both sides and get a small ridge in the middle. It's not really noticeable, but you can definitely feel it. I'll probably try to sand on it a little to smooth it out,but for the most part I'm just rolling with it.
Seaslug talked about letting the epoxy collect at the bottom of the gutter when coating the sides, it will self-level and probably hide that ridge.
Good point! It probably will.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

bamaguy0 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 am Hey Jaysen, I'm not following on this one. I picked a gasket that is just a D shape with PSA to stick down to the top of the inside lip. Is that no good?
Nothing wrong with the gasket. I’d use the method VT Jeff suggested and just leave the ridge if you can.

If you need to reduce the ridge, don’t lower the bit after you move the guide. That will center the nose on the ridge leaving two small ridges that would easily cover with epoxy via Jeff’s method.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Went ahead and did the 1/4" roundover around the hatch openings. I like that much better than the 1/8". Didn't snap a pic though.

Flipped the deck over and bonded in some doubler plates. This one is for one of them fancy retractable deck cleats and the trolling motor mount. The kick out is mainly from the shape of the scrap plywood I had, but it works out because the trolling motor mount needs that. Also added another between the 2 hatches for a pedestal seat mount. I don't know if I'll use it, but I wanted to put one in.

Mostly worked on the aft deck supports today.

Here you can see how the inital center support will work out.

I wanted to mount the battery on the starboard side to counteract the livewell weight, but the clearance just isn't there. Looks like this is my best option. This is for the cranking/house battery which will be a Dakota Lithium 60AH/1000CCA dual purpose battery. In the photos are the 100AH deep cycle lithium I got for the trolling motor. Plenty of juice on this boat!

So the plywood false frame idea fell thru because the best place for it clashed with my overflow on the livewell. Had I not already drilled the holes I would have went forward with that. Oh well. What I did come up with is using the supports I already had to add additional cleating underneath to support the frame as well. My biggest fear was only the deck being supported and the hatch gutters breaking free. I added a lip to the underside of both the aft span and the center support as well as glued in another cleat on the aft end of Frame D. This gives the hatch gutters themselves some support and can share the load a little better.

And now I can sit the hatch frame in place with no clamps to get things flush. I'm happy with this.

And now getting it all overcoated in preparation for prime and paint. Gonna put the first coat of primer down tomorrow.