Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

I saw that suggestion elsewhere as well, but that still wasn't enough to get fuel into the filter initially. Seems like filling new filters with gas before installation is a common practice.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mounted the grab bar and a rod holder to the console.

Did a rough cut on the piece of foam decking for the front hatch. Will need to trim it up and get it to size, then cut out spots for the latch and hinges.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Got a few updates to make.

Installed guide poles for the trailer. Maybe some people think they're sissy sticks or something, but I like them and find them beneficial in numerous ways.

Got the foam decking finished on the hatch and deck area. I have some cut out to go on the gunwale under the deck to keep reels from slapping the sides. I'll put those on this week.

I put in some rubber tiles in the big front locker. This is to allow water to drain through from the anchor locker in front without getting whatever I have in there wet. They were 5 bucks a square at Bass Pro and I had to trim slightly to fit.

And just this afternoon I took her out to see how the new setup works. Being a fairly novice boater I used the opportunity to practice launching and retrieving alone as well. I'd say that aspect went mostly ok. Having the power pole and wireless control is pretty sweet because I can let the boat slide off, anchor down to stop the drift and then use a bow line to pull it over to the dock. Seems to work well.

Here's how she sits in the water. I'd honestly say without me on it there's not really a noticeable difference, but once I get on board it is noticeable. I did try sitting up on the platform and without some front ballast I don't think I'll be hopping up there alone. No biggie as I may end up with a front casting platform before it's all said a done. Maybe next year.

She topped out at around 26-27 at 5700rpm. I do need to bring the motor down somewhat. The only way she ran well was with the motor trimmed all the way down and anything above that she would porpoise pretty good. We'll see if we can fix it with motor height. Worst case I have some of the Bennet Smart Tabs (spring kind) that are sitting in a box that I could install.

All in all I'm pleased! Got a few little accessories left to install, but I think I'm about ready to be taking her out on the regular...assuming the wife and baby let me get away occasionally! :lol:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Congratulations the boat looks absolutely great! Sounds like it runs pretty good too.
About the sissy sticks they can sure make life easier. I must be a total wimp as all my trailers have full length side boards. All I have to do is get the nose in close to straight and it will center it's self. Our rivers are pretty swift so messing around when loading causes problems. Even loading in salt water it is normal to be fighting wind and current with our 30 plus foot of tidal range.

Mojosmantra
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mojosmantra »

I love “sissy sticks” (never heard that term before), but mostly for trailering/backing up - especially with a small boat that you can hardly see in the rear view mirror.

I hope the baby is a good sleeper - mine was not. That makes all the difference in the world. Your wife will be happier and let you go fishing once in a while 😁

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sissy sticks my buttocks!!

You don’t have those things here can you’ll be picking your boat up off the side of ramp when it rolls off the side of trailer when you pull it out. The current at the ramps here pretty much guarantees missing the bunks unless you’ve a big V. It’s a blast watching folks with flat bottoms trying to center on the trailer in the parking lot.

We even put them on the lifts here. Smart money prefers getting the boat on the bunks right.

😛
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Mojosmantra wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:52 pm I love “sissy sticks” (never heard that term before), but mostly for trailering/backing up - especially with a small boat that you can hardly see in the rear view mirror.

I hope the baby is a good sleeper - mine was not. That makes all the difference in the world. Your wife will be happier and let you go fishing once in a while 😁
I made it up. Figured someone at some point might have called them that. You're 100% right though, they're great!

She sleeps pretty good at night. We get up twice a night pretty much to feed and take care of her. My parents are in town weekend after next so I know I'll get a day in with my dad. Weekend after that I'm meeting up with VT_Jeff as he makes his FL tour, and then my in laws come in for 3-4 weeks the week after that. Should be able to get away a time or two then as well. My FIL may want a trip in there too.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:59 pm Sissy sticks my buttocks!!

You don’t have those things here can you’ll be picking your boat up off the side of ramp when it rolls off the side of trailer when you pull it out. The current at the ramps here pretty much guarantees missing the bunks unless you’ve a big V. It’s a blast watching folks with flat bottoms trying to center on the trailer in the parking lot.

We even put them on the lifts here. Smart money prefers getting the boat on the bunks right.

😛
I've taken a charter out of Charleston before, I've seen what that current is like. My dad has went diving in the tidal rivers around there. I think they were pretty much allowed to be down only during the time right around slack tide.

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

It looks like my theory on porpoising may be off. Lowering may not help but actually hurt. Drawing the force vectors in my head I think I understand why. I saw a little bit of cavitation as well trimmed up slightly so I think dropping it some will help in that regard. I'm just gonna have to find the happy median and then treat the porpoising if still present. This is really going to only be a problem when I'm alone I suspect, but for the near term that's probably going to be the majority of my use case.

It seems the internet is keen on trim tabs. I'm guessing it seems to come up a lot when folks repower from 2strokes to heavier 4strokes.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you do have proposing on a small boat like yours a Doel-Fin or similar attached to the motor should take care of it for about $50.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978