At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

He's super excited. His first word wasn't "boat" but it was in the first ten and he gets what boats are. We have freighters out in the bay and he points at them and says boat, and he points at small sportfishing boats that go by when we're at the beach and says boat, but also, if we're walking around and he sees one on a trailer, he says it. He gets the concept: a boat is a thing that goes on water, but you can pull them out of water sometimes too, and things shaped like this are boats.

And if I'm not around and he didn't see me go upstairs to my office to work, he'll point out the back door at the garage and say Dad dad dad boat boat boat. And then he wants to go to the garage. He gets what's happening, for sure, it's kind of wild.

A couple of days ago I had him out there and I said "can you see what's different?" and he looked around on the boat saw that little piece of coaming I just added. I said, "that's right, I did that. I made that. That's what I did when I was here last night." And then I held up a scrap of the same wood, and a saw, and held the wood against that spot, and then cut a piece off it with the saw, and held it back up.

"I make things," I say. "I build things." I use the words "make" and "build" a lot when we play with blocks.

"Make."

"That's right. Dad makes boats."

"Make. Boat."

"That's right. I made this."

And he got super excited and just started yelling DADADADADADAD! and I'm sure it was because he understood what I'd been explaining.

It's unnerving how much he understands sometimes. That's part of the reason I've cut back a bit on my building hours: I think he's reaching a point where he really discerns my absence and there's a risk there for me because I'm a bit prone to task fixation, so it's very normal for me to work a typical 8-9 hour day, then work on whatever I have on the go for couple of hours, have dinner, then go work for a couple more hours. I used to work two jobs where my main job was out in the field but I had a writing job as well where I worked from home and I'd just go, all the time. And I do get really antsy if I don't have a big project or a major task on the go, my skin just crawls. So I really want to be getting stuff done.

But as a father it makes me reflect a bit. I was never close with my family and even though I lived with him, actually barely knew my dad before I became an adult, and I swore I would never be that way. Ironically, he loves boats and fishing as well, and is quite handy at piloting them in rough weather and pretty good at salmon jigging too, but he doesn't care for human contact at all so I didn't really get to learn that stuff from him, and spent more time just shore casting by myself as a kid and was on other people's boats more than his. Thankfully I did grow up in a very fishy, boaty area so I did get to do a lot of that stuff and obviously that became a lifelong passion, I just never got to do it with my dad, and that's not at all how I want my kid to grow up.

Anyway that's why now that I believe my kid really grasps my absence when I'm not there, I try not to work on the boat much until after he goes to bed which itself is painfully cute, as he usually sleeps hugging one of the many stuffed bunnies my rabbit-obsessed wife has put in every corner of the house.

I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

CR remind us again what is the HP of your motor? Thanks. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

CR remind us again what is the HP of your motor? Thanks. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

It'd be something close to 30hp by current standards.

It was billed as a 20, but that was in the days when they rated it at the crank. Today it would be sold as a 15.

That block was used on motors called 35s in the 70s which were changed to 30s around 1984 or so when they started rating motors at the prop.

This one has the intake and carb off a 30/35 but not the head which was a little higher compression IIRC.

But it probably puts out something close to 30 HP, I'd guess.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Wow - looks awesome. Going with 1000 lbs and 20 kts!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:10 pm ...that's not at all how I want my kid to grow up.
Some times it takes a few iterations/generations to get it right, look at Archie Manning! Good on ya for having your priorities straight CR, and recognizing what's truly important. Boats will come and go(esp if you keep burning them upon completion), your kids childhood is a one-off.

Boats looking great. On the weight, 750 hull only, top speed 17mph.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I'm going with 625 and 21 m.p.h.

Got a name for the boat yet?
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Okay now that I know more about the motor, hull only 550lbs, top speed 24mph with you alone.

Tom