At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: At last a build thread: CR16 skiff

Post by cracked_ribs »

Thanks a ton - if you figure that Michigan Match would hook up, I'll order one, but I'll give Powertech a shout as well and see what they say.

I looked at the 9.25*12 Michigan originally but my concern was whether it would have too little surface area to grip the water under load. Also being unfamiliar with the brand I wasn't sure about the quality, but if you have found them to be a good prop maker that's a good enough recommendation for me. So if you figure a 9.25*12 would hold, I'll go that route, and look into Powertech as a possible upgrade.

Thanks for the local info about the PT source as well; I have friends within a mile or so of Port Coquitlam so I can easily have something picked up if they don't want to ship.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep CR as long as the weight you gave me is correct you should be fine. Weight is the most critical factor in the calculation.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Cool, well, I really appreciate the advice. I emailed Powertech to see if they still build for old split-case Evinrudes, but I'll order up a Michigan 12 pitch and then we'll see just how fast I can go!

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Another option may be to find a good propeller repair shop and have them put new blades on your old hub. I've sheared the blades down to the hub twice on a boat we owned decades ago, and they gave it back to me like new. They can also adjust the pitch when they do it.

The first prop I had on my Dory was a stainless and a guy who did props for racing took a full 1" out of the pitch just by bending the blades. Was less than half the price of a new prop and really helped the performance.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

cape man wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:20 am Another option may be to find a good propeller repair shop and have them put new blades on your old hub. I've sheared the blades down to the hub twice on a boat we owned decades ago, and they gave it back to me like new. They can also adjust the pitch when they do it.

The first prop I had on my Dory was a stainless and a guy who did props for racing took a full 1" out of the pitch just by bending the blades. Was less than half the price of a new prop and really helped the performance.
Yeah I don't know why I have an aversion to getting small props fixed - I had a volvo prop repaired about three times and each time I couldn't believe how cheap and effective it was and I still have that prop on a boat. For some reason I always think little props are disposable but there's about three prop shops within half an hour of me here...I should really give one a call.

I spoke to Powertech and they tell me the only options they know of for that motor are indeed the Solas and Michigan Wheel 9.25s so I will order up a Michigan 9.25x12 and run with it - thanks for the input; I would definitely not have gone to the 12 pitch without hearing those numbers. I'm still surprised there's enough blade to drive a 12 without slipping badly but I'm not a prop expert or anything, just a guy who messes around with boats. At any rate, I'm super excited to see just how fast the 12 will push me. I never expected the boat to move this fast. I no longer think I radically overdid the tabbing of stringers and bulkheads, now I think it's probably lucky I overkill everything and double taped so much of this. It's going to be a much faster boat than I expected.

cape man

Post by cape man »

I just went back through my build thread to find the details of what I did on the prop - 11 years ago. 8O That was a fun trip down memory lane, especially reading the posts where I first started conversing with some guys who became life friends. The guy I took the stainless prop to was able to take a full 2.5" out of the pitch and shaved some of the edges off the trailing edges of the bottom of the blades to make it turn faster. I picked up over 500rpms on a Yamaha 40hp four stroke outboard, with no slippage. I didn't report here what it cost, but if I remember right it was right around $100. Even if you are buying a new prop, you may still want to take the old one in and have them make new blades to the pitch you need. Always a good idea to have a spare on board! I'd wait until you have tried out the new one and see where it runs.

I also discovered in my thread that where I have been claiming that my OD18 weighs 900 lbs., it was actually 990 lbs! A little bit more than the 610 lbs. as designed... :help: :help:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

That really is a good idea. I have a 9.25x12 michigan on the way, but I'll call the local prop shops and see if anyone wants to take a look at the old 11 pitch.

The guy I had when I lived on the mainland could do incredible stuff for a hundred-hundred fifty bucks. I was always shocked at the results for the amount I was spending. I wouldn't be half surprised if someone like that would be interested in building up a new 4-blade or something, lifting the geometry off a similar through-hub and just compensating for the conventional hub shape.

Well, now I'm curious. I'll have to make some calls.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That would be cool if you could get one made a 9,25 x 10 4 blade would be what you should look at depending on how much rake and cup is put in it. I would wait till you get the Michigan to see how it performs and then go for the 4 blade.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Okay, well, that's what I'll run with then...the Michigan is probably ten days out. I have some oil seals and a bearing that are maybe 15-20 days out; they will let me rebuild a complete spare lower and that'll go on the main and the current lower will go back to the backup.

I'll see how that x12 feels and think about whether chatting up a local prop wizard over Coho steaks and Lucky lager might buy me some creative interest in developing a 9.25x10 4 blade on an old Johnson hub.

Speed numbers as soon as I have them!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

How are you making out with all the extreme flooding in your area?