CK17 puzzle joint ended ply

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

CK17 puzzle joint ended ply

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff/Jacques,

Looking at the ck17 plans, I'd prefer puzzle joints for bottom/side panels. I know if I splurge and CNC cut the kit, the puzzle joints are included. If I choose to "do it the hard way", do I need to change the nesting to allow for a 4" reduction for each piece of ply that gets a puzzle edge?

Alternatively can I accomplish the same idea, and have the same strength, if I just double up the glass on a typical butt joint?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CK17 puzzle joint ended ply

Post by jacquesmm »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 am Jeff/Jacques,

Looking at the ck17 plans, I'd prefer puzzle joints for bottom/side panels. I know if I splurge and CNC cut the kit, the puzzle joints are included. If I choose to "do it the hard way", do I need to change the nesting to allow for a 4" reduction for each piece of ply that gets a puzzle edge?
Not necessary because the nesting is on standard sheets 96" long. Use real marine ply that is 98-3/8 and that leaves room for the puzzle joints.

Alternatively can I accomplish the same idea, and have the same strength, if I just double up the glass on a typical butt joint?
The purpose of the puzzle joint is easy assembly with correct alignement. They have nothing to do with strength. No need to reinforce anything. Please build as the plans say: one layer of tape each side.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: CK17 puzzle joint ended ply

Post by Jaysen »

Excellent. Thank you sir.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.