Vendee Globe 2020

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Vendee Globe 2020

Post by Jaysen »

If I read between the lines right, the patches are much thicker than the original. I think it comes down to how well he managed to get the glue and clamping pressure even.

I was hoping he’d be leading from canaries to finish but now ... hopefully he will finish.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Dang. I know that those boats are built to the limit and just like race cars (something I have experience with) when you build to the limit you occasionally cross the limit and things break. It just seems like Alex doesn't have good luck with Hugo Boss boats!

https://www.boatinternational.com/yacht ... ars--29537

Then again, when they don't break he has some great results!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

And he's back.
https://youtu.be/garph4vUjvU
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Why can't we have a thumbs up emoji?
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well this sucks.

Alex is out. Bad luck all around but a good call.

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-h ... dee-globe/

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Dang. That's going to be a long, miserable seven days to make it to port.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Kevin Escoffier, among the leaders, has sent out an emergency signal. I believe he has abandoned ship and is in his liferaft. Jean Le Cam has changed course for a rescue but last I heard he wasn't able to find him or reach him on the radio.
Alex's video today showed him uncharacteristically, if understandably, down and feeling defeated.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The statement from Vendee Globe is at https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/206 ... -escoffier

Summation: Cam DID have him in sight but was unable to effect rescue due to conditions and lost sight. Others are arriving on scene to assist.

I think part of the thing with Alex is that he had sleep. And that sleep killed the adrenaline that was fueling his mind before withdrawing. I don't know how I would handle being in his spot. I'm eager to see what he does next.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It's troubling that Le Cam lost sight of him. It's still two hours before dawn and looking for someone in big seas in the dark is basically impossible. I've done exercises with a strobe at sea at night in, say 6-8 foot seas, and it's very difficult. This is a pretty scary situation.
Tony

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Le Cam picked him up.
Tony