HMD 21 starting - help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: HMD 21 starting - help

Post by duysall83 »

Hello again,

Now time for decks. What is inwale for? İs it to soften the inner edge of deck or behave as a guide for installing cabin sides, front etc?

Also to Evan and other hmd builders ; does very front 2 deck pieces have a curve or a flat surface?

Thanks

Duysal

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Hello Duysal
The front deck has a curve on it. The two pieces leading up to it have a slight slope. Is that what you are after?
100_1068.jpg
Not sure about inwhale. If I understand what you are meaning, I would say that I didn't use any on my boat, from the back of the cabin forward. Main cabin sides and forecabin sides/front were stitched/taped to the deck. The upper portions of the frames give guidance and give the base for the curve of the panels. I put cleats on the frames where the decks were going to sit. After getting everything aligned in a nice curve, I glued them down with a taped joint inside and out. I used a 1x2 under the edge of the deck on the sides of the cockpit for strength. Then added a coaming around the inside of the cockpit which also helped support the deck.
Just went and looked at my plans and layout for cutting the plywood. The cutting layout shows the front deck as two pieces but should be left as one piece as you see in my picture. The plans show the inwhale in the cockpit. Sort of looks like there could be an inwhale all the way around the inside of the deck but I didn't do it that way. Would be good to hear from Evan if they were supposed to go all the way around or just in the cockpit. Have you cut your deck panels? Leave them about 3/4 to 1" wider on the outside edge, then you can overlap them over the rub rail and have a lot more gluing area.
100_0437.JPG
You'll have to plane them to the same angle as the deck but was fairly straightforward to do.
Doug

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Hello Doug, i see that there is curve at front deck. Thank you.

I understand you didnt put any inwale not around cockpit, not around cabin. I may put around cabin but for the cockpit i need a different solution. May be correct to call what i need as "inner side panel". Since boat is 1,1 times bigger and the engine sits on bracket, i have a largee cockpit. Want side benches to have backrests. So 2 things;

1. İnner profile of side deck should be straight. I cant think anything else, pleass advice if any.
IMG_20211202_083436.jpg
2. Put an inner side with an angle, glue it to the Side frames, to the top of side bench and to the cleats on side deck edge. Like this from Patrick's DE build.
Screenshot_2021-12-02-08-42-45-114_com.miui.gallery.jpg
What do u think?

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

Your ideas look plenty strong and work out well for seating. Good backrests. Something I should have done in mine.

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Some progress. For 1 month i spend 2-3 hrs/week day and 7-8 hrs per weekend days. Finally put the deck but needed to trim maybe 10-12 cm from the width of front deck . I guess bow part shrinked, i remember the very front frame was loosen at hull build stage. I did not care and it was like there no frame at all. That should be reason. Still learning from experiences :) hope just an estethic issue.
Attachments
IMG_20211210_174853.jpg
IMG_20211210_174847.jpg