SK14 in Cape Cod

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by PapaDave »

The boat is looking great. I mounted my sk14 center console/grab bar to the deck with screws. I think a better option is the direction you are headed where it is easily removed for car topping, storage, and stacking on another boat for transport.
Dave

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Some shots of the console are at the end of the video.
Dave

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.
Attachments
20210101_205740.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.

thanks a ton! this is probably the best idea I've heard of yet. no deck penetration :D

I don't mind the "wings" sticking up, they don't need to be very tall, I can completely smooth them out as well so when the console is off they won't be something for my fly line to get caught on!

I can also add a couple extra holes to the wings and have a little wiggle room with the console and i'll be able to move it forward or backward if i need to. Also down the road if i want to remove the wings its not hard to cut them off the deck.

I just finished the console, finished the foam, and just make a wooden router sled to flush cut the foam in the doubler compartment. Boat is back in the garage :(

I"ll take some pics tomorrow!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end
my console has a full bottom, so I was planning on taking some butyl tape and put some under my console around the edges, that should help seal / stop vibrations/chatter between the console / sole. I'll also use the butyl tape to seal the small space between the cleats and the holes I'll have to cut in the bottom of the console where the cleats come through. I'll take some pics in the next couple days!

Should I space out my cleats so I have room for some thick rubber washers between the console and the cleats?

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

PapaDave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Some shots of the console are at the end of the video.
Dave

is this your boat? I must have watched this build video about 564 times ;)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:06 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:52 pm My preference would be to glass a few strips of 9mm ply to the deck, on edge, spaced as wide as the console. The console would go over these "wings" and bolts would go through the sides of the console into these wings. Downside is the wings are left behind but the upside is that there is no deck penetration.

thanks a ton! this is probably the best idea I've heard of yet.
I'm marking the date/time and taking a screenshot. This is truly historic. Really proves the blind squirrel/nut theory.

Happy to hear it will work for you, looking forward to pics.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:00 pm Wings, aka cleats are the way to go. In the case of the Skoota, the helm riser is attached same way. In order to do the attachment, I also am adding rubber silencing to the bottom edge (shows) and the cleat face(not showing). To do the work, the cleat needs to not stick to the console, so you can protect it with ship tape, or you can locate the cleat with...a screw..that is a hole closed at the end
my console has a full bottom, so I was planning on taking some butyl tape and put some under my console around the edges, that should help seal / stop vibrations/chatter between the console / sole. I'll also use the butyl tape to seal the small space between the cleats and the holes I'll have to cut in the bottom of the console where the cleats come through. I'll take some pics in the next couple days!

Should I space out my cleats so I have room for some thick rubber washers between the console and the cleats?
Anothe .02: You could run the cleats outside the console, holes through the cleats, t nuts in the console. You could recess/rebate the console base sides so they would be flush with the cleats once mounted, or even under cut so the bolt heads are not proud. Neoprene is a great idea. Oversize the cleat holes to ensure the console sits heavy on the deck before torqing the bolts.
Attachments
20210104_211151.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I will be using full cleats around the riser to avoid or reduce ingress. Rubber is all the way around.

I will epoxy the nuts in place. Use a dab of silicone or light loctite on the socket head bolts which stand on finish washers.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495