SK14 in Cape Cod

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:28 am did you know you can fit a 9.9 inside your subaru if you take the back cushion out :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is very good to know! How fast can you go with just the kicker?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

a couple more questions!

what do most people do here, just glue up a thicker board to clamp to? or just use a spacer after the transom is finished? remove those and through bolt it? there are some holes on the back too that look like they are for a through bolt.

I totally forget i left my transom like an inch or so tall so i could cut it down to the proper height. :) the plate above the prop have to be level with the bottom of the boat ?

EH vermont is too cold for me. i would need too much bourbon to keep warm my sanding would be less then ideal 8)
Last edited by Fuzzytrout on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am
Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm What Jaysen said :help:

But you are welcome to come visit :lol: :lol: :roll:
Ditto! Vermont is lovely this time of year. Bring your sander, I'll provide everything else!
It's a bidding war :lol: Come in summer. I have Fesstool sanders and will take you fishing afterwards :P

A spacer will work but a full width clamping board would be better. I never trust the clamps. I have had the motor work lose so I drill holes and bolt them on. It is not much more work for the security.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:26 pm ...what do most people do here, just glue up a thicker board to clamp to? or just use a spacer after the transom is finished? remove those and through bolt it? there are some holes on the back too that look like they are for a through bolt.
Here is what I did to both thicken up the transom and to keep the motor positioned properly: Image
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

OOOH I like it! I'll probably do something like that for the clamps, and then still use two through bolts in the lower holes from the rear of the engine.

I remember reading a couple builds on here that had cavitation issues.

so should this be level with the bottom of the hull? or just a tiny bit below?

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 pm It's a bidding war :lol: Come in summer. I have Fesstool sanders and will take you fishing afterwards :P

A spacer will work but a full width clamping board would be better. I never trust the clamps. I have had the motor work lose so I drill holes and bolt them on. It is not much more work for the security.
be careful what you wish for. I'd sand a hull for a shot at a big ole alaskan native rainbow, a steelhead, some salmon, a grayling, a halibut, ;) just about anything. I need inspiration and photo references for paintings! 8)

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

OK SO I GET IT.

the longboard kicks your ass. i got a nice workout for a couple long nights....

sorry for the lack of posting. the gallery has been busy, I've been working my butt off getting mini boat finished....

pics sooooon. I'm sooooo close! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

someone put a boat in my garage!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Very well done!!! Congrats, Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

That's outstanding, and about ready for the season. Boat looks great, you really did some nice work, very impressed!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie