SK14 in Cape Cod

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by Fuzzytrout »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:09 pm Anothe .02: You could run the cleats outside the console, holes through the cleats, t nuts in the console. You could recess/rebate the console base sides so they would be flush with the cleats once mounted, or even under cut so the bolt heads are not proud. Neoprene is a great idea. Oversize the cleat holes to ensure the console sits heavy on the deck before torqing the bolts.
HMMMMM this is an even better idea. let me look at my console and where my rod holders are going to mount and if that works I'll probably do that. I might just have them run the full length outside the console, like a baseboard trim. install multiple holes on the rail, and when i remove the console i can use the cleats to tie down something else clean and flush and simple

I'll upload some pics later today when i get back to the gallery.

I'm still picking foam out of my eyeballs from cutting the doubler compartment with the router.

the doubler seems kinda pointless now, but oh well its already framed out and who knows what the future holds, one day i'll be happy its there.

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

That is my SK 14 “Kenai” in the build video. Glad to hear that the video was helpful. It is a fun boat and you are sure to enjoy your labor soon. Your boat looks great!
Dave

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 pm
PapaDave wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:21 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJhpE-Y8bI

Some shots of the console are at the end of the video.
Dave

is this your boat? I must have watched this build video about 564 times ;)
Nice video. I see a number of people in the comments section asking where they can get the plans, would be nice to add the information up top somewhere.
Hank

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Some updated pics!

Glued down the sole, I'm going to fiberglass it. This little boat is gonna see some miles so....

Dry fitting some goodies. Going to overdrill and fill with epoxy now. then drill a tiny center hole so after priming and painting i'll have a small little center point to follow for the final holes.

I'll need to cut about an 1" off the bow hardware, the threads just barely hit the top.

I wound up using two pieces of ply for the little front deck, and putting some little cleats in there so it would sit perfectly flush with the rubrail. Gonna put a little hatch up front, so I decided to double up on the ply because my dog knows no bounds, and I'm sure she'll be sitting on the little area in no time.

micro console! I built micro console for a couple of reasons. first and foremost, I had a decent amount of wood left over from my 6 sheets of okume, and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste it.

Micro boat will be used at night as much as it will be used during the day. 90% of my striped bass fishing is at night. I needed a spot for a chart plotter / fish finder / switch panel for lights. I didn't want to rely on battery powered running lights, so mini boat with have front and rear nav lights. A little grab rail is going up top above the finder.

Im also debating where to put the front nav lights. My first though was going to put them in the front of the console, (you can see the epoxy circle where i over drilled and filled). the angle in the front of the console is about 31 degrees from the centerline of the boat, so the lights would be at the proper angle to view em from the front. My other option would be to put them up front either under the rubrail, or cut them flush into the rubrail. Thoughts? I really want to just put them into the CC.

Also put a little drain on the side for the built in cooler.

grab rail up top, fish finder, switch panel, two cup holders, and a little recessed spot behind them to put your phone etc etc.

Battery, fuses, main on /off, etc all will go in the console. its really just some LED lights and the fish finder.

the font seat/ cooler/ small storage. This was my messiest epoxy job i did late at night and tired. :) now i know never do epoxy work when you are tired after working for 12 hrs.... I'll pour two part foam around the outside, and fiberglass the seams inside and finish it off. the cooler can fit a bottle of my wife's favorite wine.. ;)

The cleats. Im going to cut the console AGAIN and make sure these cleats sit flush with the console.

I keep telling myself SOONER then LATER I'll be sitting on my micro boat staring out at the water, looking over this, enjoying my hard work :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

thanks Jeff!

I'm learning a TON during my first build. so happy with how everything is coming out, mainly because of this forum.

I feel the addiction starting. I NEED ANOTHER BOAT already. What am I going to work on once I finish this one? I'm kinda burnt out on painting so the boat has been a nice change of pace.

one thing i need to work on. stop wasting epoxy. :D

in fact I probably should order more! :)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:00 pm thanks Jeff!

I'm learning a TON during my first build. so happy with how everything is coming out, mainly because of this forum.

I feel the addiction starting. I NEED ANOTHER BOAT already. What am I going to work on once I finish this one? I'm kinda burnt out on painting so the boat has been a nice change of pace.

one thing i need to work on. stop wasting epoxy. :D

in fact I probably should order more! :)
Doing some really nice looking work Fuzzy, keep it up! I'm at about triple the BOM on epoxy right now, I wasted a fair amount and have added quite a few extras.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

After this boat I would suggest an FS 19. Perfect for your area.

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Browndog wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:23 pm After this boat I would suggest an FS 19. Perfect for your area.
I'm debating between the FS 19 or the C19. Leaning towards C19. But that's a boat for next winter or the winter after....plenty of time to decide.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

it would seem BBV has claimed another victim :lol:
I would really like to build another boat but it seems like I want to remain married more :cry: