SK14 in Cape Cod

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Like most of you, I have been a looooooooonnnnng time lurker. I wonder how many DAYS I've spend reading this forum :doh: I've wanted to build like 23 different boats. my dream boat would be a c19, but figuring I've never built a boat, driven a boat solo, or trailered a boat, its probably better to start small :lol: I'll use the SK14 for the flats fishing and going way back into the bays and tidal creeks here on the Cape, and also to trailer down to florida with the wife and dog for some mosquito filled adventures looking for fish down there. I've been fishing since I was a little kid, and now paint fish for a living. I can't wait to splash micro boat!

A huge thank you EVERYONE who regularly posts here. My build is going smoothly,mainly from the tips and tricks I picked up reading everyones builds!

I finally took the plunge and ordered the sk14 plans, got some okume from my local lumber yard here on the cape, ordered some wood flour, epoxy and fiberglass from BBC and off we GO!

making progress slowly! I work 4 days a week in my art gallery, and then have 3 days in the studio / my house to work on the boat. I just got more foam yesterday to finish the foam! I got super impatient and made one of the slotted inwhales, i probably should glue down the sole before doing the other one ;)

I have some questions for you more experienced builders about the best way to secure Mini console down. Part of me wants to make my micro console removable, part of me just wants to glass it into place and call it good!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by Fuzz »

Looks to me like you almost have a boat now. Happy to see you start a build thread.
Got to ask, how did you come up with that user name :D

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Thanks Fuzz! It's amazing how quickly it started looking like a boat! One of the reasons why I went with an SK14 for my first build. I see the addiction. I see many boats in my future :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh the elusive fuzzytrout. I may have caught one once 15 years ago :D

Or I spent too many hours in Ripleys Believe it or Not when i was a kid...

I used to trout fish like it was my job. Then it turned into my job for a hot minute while I guided trout when I was in High school and college, but quickly realized i love fishing hate guiding.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That's looking great, thanks for sharing the photos. Your shop looks like the inside of a home . . . how do you guys get away with that??

app.php/gallery/image/8026/medium
Hank

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

I only brought the mini boat inside to foam it! my garage is the shop... my wife is cool, but not THAT cool...

my work kinda takes over the entire house anyway. building frames for artwork in the garage shop, one of our extra rooms has my 44" epson printer, and I paint in like 2 different rooms :lol: art takes over the entire house, a boat in the kitchen isn't all that far off having a 7' tall painting in the kitchen, or 3 fly rods, 2 spin rods, and some stinky waders and a wetsuit.

but the real reason why I get away with it is cause I cook for my wife 8)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
I have some questions for you more experienced builders about the best way to secure Mini console down. Part of me wants to make my micro console removable, part of me just wants to glass it into place and call it good!
Looking great!

If you make it removable, what are you willing to have left on the deck when it's off? If you want it completely clean, you'll need some recessed nuts in the deck. The more you're willing to leave behind, the simpler the attachment mechanism.

I have a lot of family on the Cape and hope to fish from my FS there this summer if the stars align, leave a few fish for me!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

so these are the flush mount options I can find.

do you think either of these be strong enough to hold down my micro console if I epoxy them into the doubler and sole? my initial thought would be no, those look too skinny. I would just overdrill / epoxy the hollow bolt into the doubler/ sole and then use some stainless bolts to hold the console down with em.

something like that would be ideal though. I JUST finished foaming, I'm in no rush to glue the sole down, so I'm going to play with the console design while i figure out how to secure the console.

If I can't find a beefy flush mount option like above, what are my other options? a tee-nut or a nut under the sole seems like a good spot for water to creep in through. If I did something like that I think I'd rather just overdrill / epoxy / some 1/2" stainless bolts under the doubler, and have 1" of thread coming up to bolt down the console too. I'd feel safer with some beefy hardware like 1/2" and 5200 all around the threads coming up from under the sole. For the rare times I did take the console out, I could just make a little 1" bevel piece of wood to cover the 4 bolts.

in the console I'll have a 7" fish finder, switch panel, fuses, battery, two cup holders, fly rod holders on one side and spin rod holders on the other side. front will have a little seat with a built in cooler under it (i have some extra two part foam to make a small insulated cooler, gotta make sure it fits some wine bottles for the wife).

I had some extra wood from how I nested the parts, so i figured why not make a micro console.
Last edited by Fuzzytrout on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm
Fuzzytrout wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Looking great!

If you make it removable, what are you willing to have left on the deck when it's off? If you want it completely clean, you'll need some recessed nuts in the deck. The more you're willing to leave behind, the simpler the attachment mechanism.

I have a lot of family on the Cape and hope to fish from my FS there this summer if the stars align, leave a few fish for me!
Nope, all the fish are mine. All the albies are definitely mine. Actually there are no fish on the cape anyway. just seals :lol:

Let me know if you make it out here, we will go a little 3 hour tour with the boats! I'm pretty easy to find on social media (even though I utterly despise it), great water gallery!

gainer71
New Poster
New Poster

Post by gainer71 »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:38 pm I only brought the mini boat inside to foam it! my garage is the shop... my wife is cool, but not THAT cool...

my work kinda takes over the entire house anyway. building frames for artwork in the garage shop, one of our extra rooms has my 44" epson printer, and I paint in like 2 different rooms :lol: art takes over the entire house, a boat in the kitchen isn't all that far off having a 7' tall painting in the kitchen, or 3 fly rods, 2 spin rods, and some stinky waders and a wetsuit.

but the real reason why I get away with it is cause I cook for my wife 8)
Same here, all the house looks like a boat shop and it drives my wife crazy... And unfortunately, I can't cook at all so I have no excuses for this. But I think anyway it makes her happy to see our kids are keeping themselves busy with helping me around with all the boating stuff. Currently we are planning to buy a house in Larnaca for retirement and we are looking for somewhere big enough to make everyone happy :D

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

gainer71 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:44 am
But I think anyway it makes her happy to see our kids are keeping themselves busy with helping me around with all the boating stuff. Currently we are planning to buy a house in Larnaca for retirement and we are looking for somewhere big enough to make everyone happy :D
That's the best. Especially now and days, anything that gets kids off Facebook, IG and whatever the latest useless stupid app is now and days!

Can my 3 gallon gas tank on micro boat get me from Cape Cod to Larnaca? :lol: