SK14 in Cape Cod

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 in Cape Cod

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 pm it would seem BBV has claimed another victim :lol:
I would really like to build another boat but it seems like I want to remain married more :cry:
I'm just waiting for my wife to ask to build a boat we can sleep on ;)

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Some updates!

Got a small trailer perfect for micro boat!

got some new leaf springs and new hubs on the way! :D
Axle looks good still!

progress!

I chopped my mini console shorter. smaller is better for mini boat.

when i fiberglassed the deck i came to the realization that i suck with a roller. too much epoxy all over. I do much better with a plastic trowel of some kind. I'm glad i fiberglassed the deck first, this way on the hull i'll use less epoxy.

I faired the deck two nights ago, overall really happy with it. I"ll take more pics this weekend.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:22 pm
when i fiberglassed the deck i came to the realization that i suck with a roller. too much epoxy all over. I do much better with a plastic trowel of some kind.
I'm the same, have never got comfortable applying epoxy with a roller, I usually use a Bondo squeegee and/or brush.

Console and attachment cleats look great!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

thanks!

I have a question about paint.... i know everyone has their own preferences and looking at the board I see people use all different paints..

I was planning on doing some epoxy/graphite mix on the bottom, and then a top coating with Wetlander on the hull and sides up the waterline. Besides BlackJack224's build on this board that used it, i know some people local who used it for various tin boats and they loved it.

I'm leaving towards interlux either brightside or perfection for the sides and the deck... they look easy enough to use with a roll and tip. I'm pretty confident I can do a nice job with a paintbrush in my hand to smooth everything out..its about my only talent ;)

thoughts? what does everyone recommend? whats the real difference between the two paints?

also, Do I need to prime the hull before the graphite / epoxy? or just go right to graphite / epoxy after i fair the hull? :doh:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm also, Do I need to prime the hull before the graphite / epoxy? or just go right to graphite / epoxy after i fair the hull? :doh:
I did not and would not if I were to do it again. I have enough adhesion issues without adding superfluous layers. :help:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

IS IT WRONG THAT I LOVE FAIRING

DO I HAVE ISSUES????

SMOOTH LIKE A BABIES BUTT!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:25 pm IS IT WRONG THAT I LOVE FAIRING

DO I HAVE ISSUES????
Yes
Hell yes.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

What Jaysen said :help:

But you are welcome to come visit :lol: :lol: :roll:

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

its just nice to seeing all my hard work look super smooth and not look like a bunch of wood epoxied together :D

I'd be happy to come sand. you just gotta take me fishing afterwards.

sanding a boat and epoxy for a couple weeks isn't really all that bad, there are a lot worse things in life you could be doing. I'm pretty grateful I'm finally able to make this project happen.

did you know you can fit a 9.9 inside your subaru if you take the back cushion out :lol: :lol: :lol:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:24 pm What Jaysen said :help:

But you are welcome to come visit :lol: :lol: :roll:
Ditto! Vermont is lovely this time of year. Bring your sander, I'll provide everything else!