HC14 to Sailing Trimaran?

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

HC14 to Sailing Trimaran?

Post by narfi »

Random thought today, been reading a lot about sailing and multi-hulls recently and wondering about a cheap/fun way to learn.
I have a stout bullet proof HC14 we built for my son, would it be stupid to build outriggers for it and set it up for sailing on our lake here?

If not a stupid idea, are there plans for such a modification? (being convertable back and forth between original canoe configuration and sailing triamaran would be preferable)

I imagine a sheet of plywood or foam would be enough for each outrigger(I guess they are called Amas?)??
Sizing and placement of mast rigging and sails, reinforcements needed, etc...????

I googled youtube videos and saw there are some out there.... looks like lots of fun, but I don't know any of the logistics.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran?

Post by narfi »

crickets? :P

Found this video,

https://youtu.be/jWJTel_DQF4

Can buy plans for those 'drop in' outriggers for $30 including plans for 'drop in' sail rig. I do not think it includes plans for a rudder system or a board..... not sure if a board is necessary, but I see them on some of the videos I found.

If no one can talk me out of it and convince me it is a bad idea, I would rather show my loyalty and buy plans from here, even if I am a guinea pig for the first set.... not sure how any of that would work. From what I can tell they built the two Amas, and the cross beams (Aka?) are built from 2 sheets of plywood total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Why not? It's fun to experiment with those things.
No need for a rudder at first, a paddle should work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Ok thanks for the encouragement, glad to know I'm not (too) crazy.

Is that something you would be able to design and have available for your canoe builders to buy, or would you recommend I buy plans elsewhere?

My main concern with generic plans is that I do not know the compromises with relationships in size, shape, buoyancy, waterline height in relation to the main hull, etc.... though I am guessing that the generic plans probably have some of that info.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

20200402_132706.jpg
The problem is when a canoe leans over it changes the shape of the hull that is in the water and it turns into the wind. Outriggers on both sides that keep it from leaning will fix that. Most kits I've seen allow you to adjust the height/depth of them to match the waterline closely. Having the windward side come up a little removes the drag on that side, so you don't need them too deep, just enough to stop the lean on the leeward side.

Simple lee boards can be tied to the carrying yoke/mid thwart so that they are pressed against the hull when leeward, and feather out when windward. I made mine out of mahogany. A line at the top and cleated aft keeps them tilted about 5 degrees . The sail is an unstayed spirit that goes through a thwart behind the front seat and is stepped in a simple ash ring epoxied to the bottom of the boat. The line that raises the sail is cleated to the thwart, which creates downward force to keep the mast in the step.

With the wind, and up to about 45 degrees off the stern a paddle works great as a rudder, and she scoots along MUCH faster than paddling. Otherwise it was an absolute disaster to try and get somewhere :lol: :lol:

Project number 4,342 is to build outriggers using cedar strips and ash... if your's works I may copy the design.

I bought this book 20 years ago when I was playing with the idea. Gorgeous pics and illustrations and a great coffee table book.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Ca ... KNI-0vEl4C
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

You can lose the lee boards if you put a skeg on the outriggers.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

420 class sails look cheap on ebay.
What do the different sail Letters mean? (sail J, Sail H, etc....)

Wooden mast with a track seems fairly simple,
http://www.pdracer.com/mast/make-luff-g ... th-router/

I think I can figure out the hulls and beams, mostly already have them built up in solidworks, just need to figure out how to get it from pretty picture form to something I can draw on a flat panel efficiently.

Just need to figure out an elegant way to do the board(s) and rudder(s) that meets my aesthetic needs......