HB16

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

HB16

Post by bklake »

My daughter asked several times over the last two weeks when we are going to build this. I guess it's a go. I have the plans and started to plan things out. I have a few questions but I'm trying to read and reread the plans because I know the answers are there, I just have to find them.

The nesting plan makes it look like all the stringer sections are the same and don't stagger the splices. So, if I cut and sandwich them, the splices will all be in the same place on each stringer. The stringer tutorial says that sections of the stringer should be staggered so the splices are offset . Is this correct for the HB16?

I want a completely flat sole after the stepped part for the bow, not building the cabin. Feel free to tell me all the things wrong with this idea. We want a landing craft style boat to get up on sand bars and beaches. High freeboard in the back is a bonus. It looks to me like the seats and furniture inside the cabin stiffen the sides. Benches bow to stern will be in there to serve the same purpose.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: HB16

Post by Fuzz »

I have never seen a set of plans here where the stringer joints were not offset. No way I would build them without the offsets.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Not all designs use multi-layer stringers. Check the plans -- some smaller boats have stringers that are a single layer with the two parts spliced with tape.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am sure you are correct. I just do not have a set that does not have lapped stringers. Either way the stringers are the backbone of the boat and they need to be strong.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Just looked at the plans, specifically nesting. 6 pieces for 3 stringers so I would say 2 are laminated together for each stringer.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You're right that it takes a while to discover all the information the plans contain! The plan notes often spell out things not explicit in the drawings, and you may find one part of the information in one place and the rest on a different place. Going back and rereading multiple times will probably be necessary, too.

I don't have those plans so I don't know how the stringers are to be built. Sometimes a single layer would have a plywood butt block over the seam for strength, that's also done on hull panels in some designs as well. That information is usually shown in the notes, same for glass lamination schedule. Don't forget to check this website for plan updates, too.

Should be a fun learning project for the family, good luck with it!
Hank

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Next question to rock the boat. The bottom and sole are 1/2 inch or 13mm ply. This seems a little excessive for a boat that wont go very fast if plane at all. My PH15 plans specify 6mm for the bottom and 10mm for the sole. Stringer spacing is roughly half the span on the PH15 so maybe 13mm is needed in the sole and bottom of the HB16. The sole will get a layer of fiberglass because the way I use stuff, it will need it.

Just thinking out loud.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My default is to stick to the plans but the weight savings going down one size is tempting. I know these plans are adapted from 1950's designs and 1/2" ply was pretty standard. Stronger meranti and biax cloth were not commonly available then.

Any thoughts on staggering the joints on the stringers? There are no details in the plans. other than the nesting plan. The tutorial on stringer building states that joints are usually staggered. Not sure if butt blocks are enough. Not sure if I staggering the joints plus butt blocks will put the butt blocks where they shouldn't be.

Anxious to order some building supplies.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I think having a thicker hull will be good for a boat you plan to beach often.

If you have two layer stringers then stagger the seams at least 18", forget the butt blocks.
Hank

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Question for jacquesmm.

I'm close to placing a wood order. Stay with 12/13mm bottom and sole or can I go 10mm to save weight. 9.9HP, dispacement, fiberglass on sole, no cabin, stringers cut to be at one height-no step down. Do it or don't do it is all I need.