Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:59 pm I couldn't find what kind of plywood you decided on for the companionway boards.
1/2 meranti for now. Just need to keep the water on the outside. I have them cut but haven’t finished or installed thanks to life being a PITA.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Very sorry to hear that. Hope it's nothing serious!
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Starting to get "back on it" on the Helms too. Although I would say this weekend was less than positive.

Started off by heading to the boat for a "let's relax" between things on Saturday. Opened the companionway and found...
24" of water above the cabin sole. This pic was after my initial "OH FORKITY FORK FORK" and getting the bilge pump working. Turns out these new-fangled pumps don't actually have a proper float switch but a "water sense" that is based on impeller resistance. Apparently, when crap gets into the exit hose it monkeys up the ability for the pump to detect water. took 3 pumps to figure out what was going on. Short answer is that gunk was getting hung up on a barb connector 12" after the pump. The current solution is a section of bug netting rubber-banded over the pump basket. Long term I need to get all the debris flushed into the bilge then cleaned out with a trash pump.

And before you ask how 24" of water got INTO the boat... I have gaping holes from the ongoing repairs. Can't really plug them up (I've tried) without impeding the repairs. Have help next couple of weekends to get enough progress to reduce the expected water collection to only a couple inches.

In the middle of working on the above, there was a "thump" up the dock. I walked up there to find...
I tied it off to prevent anyone from getting holed, then tried to remove it. Required a line looped on the end and was able to "flip it" under the dock. turns out it was a 15' trunk. When folks saw it they were all "WTF ARE YOU DOING SETTING THAT LOOSE IN THE MARINA?!?!?" at which point I used a specific finger to indicate I had previously secured the boat killer to the dock. After wrestling it around several boats I managed to get it secured to a point that staff can remove it sometime today with the "crap boat" (mobile pump out). No way I was going to try to manually move that solo yesterday.

Very little positive progress, but at least no boats sank.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, That is just horrible news!!! I am really glad you found the water when you did!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am Jaysen, That is just horrible news!!! I am really glad you found the water when you did!!!! Jeff
It is really my own fault though.
1. Didn't get the project completed in a timely manner (big cause is the fuel tank install has scuppers removed).
2. I didn't check the boat for 2 weeks.
3. Improper clean-up led to debris clogging the line.

I would like to say 'lesson learned' but I'm not the sharpest knife in the block :)

That said, we have a goal of getting tank install completed in the next week. The plan we finally settled on:
1. Glue and screw cleats under tank bracket to keep in place securely.
2. Glue and screw tank bracket to cleats.
3. Grind current bolt heads off.
4. Install tank.
5. Plumb

Somewhere between 4 and 5, I have to address some water ingress (I think it is winches) that will be covered by the fill hose. In theory, there's only about 10hr of work, but as we all know, that will turn into 80hr real fast.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, just get it done!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Reminds me of the time a prior friend asked me to look at his truck to see if I could figure out why it wouldn't start and I reached over and pulled off the positive leads by hand no wrenches at which point a hole says, 'what are you doing tearing apart my cables'. He got more verbage than middle finger.

For temp holes in boats, get some 6 mil plastic and keep a roll of butyl around. The butyl sux to remove later is all.

Glad she didn't sink.

Find a friend in the marina or two that can be coaxed with whiskey, beer, or qpq to check on your boat now n then.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FG, the stupid is … I work at the marina. Not full time anymore but I literally walked by the boat 4 times and never looked in. 100% stupid on my part.

The hole are there because I’ve removed drainage points (scuppers) and panels to get the tank in. I can’t really plug them or the cockpit fills with water. This hasn’t been a problem as the pump drains the bilge very effectively until the hose is plugged.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well…

My motor is due to be back in a couple days. Kind of hard to use said motor of boat is a forked up disaster. So got to work.

These are the new washboards. Not pretty as I just wanted to get them done. Need to add a spacer because… I beveled the edges to get the water to the outside even if the water is on the inside. This is just an epoxy rough coat. Sanding and painting will be done eventually. The gap on the right is due to the lower edge needing to be “adjusted”

Moved the battery tender to be near the batteries. Rewired some crap. Found some things I don’t like and need to change. Only shocked myself once. Free advice… pay attention to the ground buss when reattaching positive. No damage a beer couldn’t fix.

As dumb as it sounds it’s hard to find replacement knobs for old vhf radios. Found some and fixed one of the most annoying things.

Started back in the tank. I will admit to engaging the B. F. H. and getting no where. Broke out the grinder and cut everything that wasn’t going to be in the boat next week out. Washed it down a bit.

Set up the tank “kind of where it goes” but need to put some supports to keep it where it is supposed to be. It will be a bit higher and further back. Once that’s in the portable will be a thing of the past.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

526B1A8E-9B1B-405D-B7D0-9F10D1491D5F.jpeg
526B1A8E-9B1B-405D-B7D0-9F10D1491D5F.jpeg (333.51 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
Looks like the thru hull is not bonded and becoming its own anode? No?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495