Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

No bonding. The one thru hull is the only metal below water line.

Motor is pull start. No connection to electrical system. Has/is getting anodes.

Once the tank is installed and plumbed I’m going “full focus” on electrical. It’s so bad that I’ve ordered new “pro level” tools to speed it up. I’m hoping several gremlins will magically disappear once that project is started.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We are almost off the dock!!!

We discovered much of the electrical was a fecal show of superior quality (that’s a bad thing). Adam and I have been fixing things only to find random splices, loops and other fun. Today we cut all the nav light crap and installed crappy Chinese knock offs. But we KNOW it is wired correctly. And while this looks like a shot of Adam’s crotch, it’s really just a pic i accidentally took while trying to make sure the separation of green and red was adequate (it’s not, I know, but it passes per the coasty and DNR folks doing a dock walk).

And here we have everything needed to plumb the new internal tank minus 6 clamps! I also have an old school float switch and high speed bilge (3x the size previously installed). If that can’t move the water faster than it gets in… I need to give up.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:49 am No bonding. The one thru hull is the only metal below water line.

Motor is pull start. No connection to electrical system. Has/is getting anodes.

Once the tank is installed and plumbed I’m going “full focus” on electrical. It’s so bad that I’ve ordered new “pro level” tools to speed it up. I’m hoping several gremlins will magically disappear once that project is started.
You want to run a ground wire from the engine zincs to the boat ground bus I'd say.

Or not.. if you have no other metals below water..

I can help with wiring questions. I am a semi-professional idiot at this point. But about two months ago, didn't realize my boat voltage was low; so, yeah.

Are you plugging into marina power to charge a battery then?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We are "ripping out" large sections of wiring regularly. Mostly no longer use harnesses for old nav hardware (we are running pulls to make sure we can get wires back through if we need to). I'm pretty solid on the wiring just less on the terms specific to nautical wiring (ex bonding). My goal is to have a minimalist electrical system with the focus being on rechargeable things. This reserves house bats for radio (also a batt unit onboard) nav lights, depth sounder, pumps, and a heater/fan for the Mrs. I'm still on the fence for how much lighting I need on deck for night runs, but I feel it will come down to compass and depth with nothing else.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:46 am I'm still on the fence for how much lighting I need on deck for night runs
Headlamps?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:46 am I'm still on the fence for how much lighting I need on deck for night runs
Headlamps?
I was thinking none? God did put a pile of little candles on the ceiling and there is so much light pollution that I fish with no light... The only reason I can imagine needing lights is to compensate for stupid nav systems that create hot spots. This was a big problem on the J30. the stupid B&G screen was so bright that you basically had to cover it to see forward of the companionway. Considering that I won't have a nav display and current backlighting for depth and compass are very dim red, I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with nothing. I could see headlamps being useful for beating and docking/anchoring. I'm hoping that I'll have a clean enough deck that even that won't be needed.

I'm generally wrong.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:22 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:15 am
Headlamps?
the stupid B&G screen was so bright that you basically had to cover it to see forward of the companionway.
I hear that! The one time I ran aground was because the GPS was too bright and I shut it off, thinking I was well aware of where I was without it. :help:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I bought a Lumitec led capri ?? for the aft deck and a GoLite somethung ir other, but the boat is 17' wide and my house will be the slip, so I need to light it up to back in.

Cockpit lights are helpful, but for a small sailboat a small led flood would be good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Tank is officially “in”. Still need to get it strapped down and plumbed. Discovered that the vent hose needs updated. Also need to snake the fuel line through some torturous turns. I may need to get some anti chaffing grommets on some of the bulk heads.

Current expectation is that we are off the dock noon local on 11/1/21. If all goes well there will be video and pictures!

I’ve a few things to do between now and then. Hopefully I’ll get some updates as we get work done.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Anti-chafing...

Use thick rubber with cloth if you have it or old innertubes if not.

Can be sliced against gravity and applied over existing lines.

Or you can tube BHs with pvc and some caulk like 5200 or faster setting stuff.