Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jeff »

Glad you told all!!! Now, take good care and get well!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Well dang Jaysen sorry to hear that news. Glad you were at the Hospital when it went off. We good luck on the therapy and don't worry about the Helm's your health comes first. Get well and best wishes.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Take care of yourself!!
Sounds like it could have been worse, so I'm glad it wasn't and you have a good plan for recovery.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Be well Jaysen. The pump needs to work well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Damn it kid you need to take care of yourself. Glad it was not worse and you were smart enough to go to the hospital when you needed to.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Having just met your (absolutely lovely!) Mrs, tough to imagine her glaring. So if she actually is, I would HEED!

"no offshore fishing" Yes, probably best to not have any kind of relapse while 60 miles offshore in an 18' boat with your aspiring guitar candidate. If the TowBoatUs bill is high for a tow from there, I'm guessing a helicopter ride will also not be cheap.

I'm willing to bet that stringed instruments are high up on the 'can do' list. Pizza/hibachi/dark rum? Probably not so much.

Glad I got to visit while you were still a full 45%!

Get well. Slowly if need be, but get well!

VTJ
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:41 pm Well... there a bit more delay here.

I have some metal added to keep the pump running, a pile of "that part is dead", and a lot of extra pill bottles. Start the formal "cardio rehab" junk next week. Dr has suggested that I've been "broken so long, you won't see any practical difference in what you can do AFTER rehab... don't be stupid and over do it before then though" (I like this doctor).
Hmm? not enough detail to know what you are saying other than the heart lacked blood supply and some of the heart looks like cauliflower cause of it? Did you get a bypass and they used wire to pull your chest back together? I know that is how I got metal in my chest. Now days they can do wonders without cracking you open. After my quadruple bypass I was back a few years later and got 3 stints put in through the wrist, but they still shave your groin area.

My doctor said I could still drink as long as I didn't drink to the point of not standing any more but told me no more smoking, ZERO. Which that was almost 20 years ago. Side note: I switched from coffee to black and green tea in the morning and then herbal teas in the afternoon (to reduce caffeine intake) and it stopped my drinking habit to the point my doctor was excited about my blood work showing my liver is recovering. Small wins, but it also stabilized my blood pressure to the point it is normal again, another small win.

Doctor tells you to exercise more but ask him/her how much is to much? Ask were your heart rate should be when you exercise and more important, how fast should you return to a resting heart rate? One will start needing to go higher and one will recover faster and be lower. Or you are not putting in enough effort.

Two things, good HRM and a oximeter. Oh, and a good blood pressure monitor with bluetooth. You cardiologist can explain why these are needed and important to have AND USE. One with spreadsheets should make you happy and give you lots of data to track.

Doctors did what they can for you, now the rest is up to you and habits you want to change.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Been off the air for a few days Jaysen, so missed your attempted shortcut to CLOOFdom. Sounds as though it went as well as could be expected. So now, JUST GET WELL.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sorry for "ghosting" y'all. Had a bad couple days there.

Here's the short statement of what was wrong, what they did, and what I actually know:
  • * 2x100% occulsions
    * multiple "greater than 50%"
    * one of the 100% addressed with a stint
    * the "greater than 50%" where somehow opened backup without a stint (for now)
    * the local hospital could not address one of the 100%; consult with other hospitals and they left it in place as "the tissue is 100% dead"
    * that one blockage appears to be more than 2yr old. No idea when I had that heart attack.
    * because of how long it has been they expect me to have the same lifestyle as before
    * because I live amidst "lots of old people" I don't actually see anyone for follow-up until the week of the 16. The cardiologist is end of May. I'm a tad "wtf does Q mean" where Q is ... every little thing.
OQ, I had already been on the correct diet and using BP cuff since about 2010. I had been ignoring the BP though as I don't like the meds. That was my big mistake. Had I gone to the DR a couple of years back, when it started creeping up, I would have avoided this whole thing. I've now been fully chastised and have taken my lumps on that front. On the diet front here's a typical day before:
7a: 2 pineapple ring with 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese; coffee or tea. After breakfast nothing but water to drink until lunch.
10a: 1/4 cup trailmix with extra nuts (I make it myself most times)
12: mix greens with olives and fetta cheese topped with infused olive oil and flavored vinegar; glass of not-quite-sweet tea. Back to only water.
2&4: half apple
6p: Fish cooked low fat, green salad, spicy green beans, rice (VT Jeff experienced this one but with some "visitor" flavor added); another cup o' tea.
8p: Popcorn and a beer.
I don't salt much when I cook and I almost never add salt to my meal. I actually complained about how salty the "low salt" meals were at the hospital.

Up to a week before "the event" (that's how the wife prefers I refer to it) I was running 1.5 miles before breakfast at least 3x per week. The last week I was so ill I couldn't manage it. As of today, I'm pulling my 1/4mi morning walk in 6min which is the "don't go faster than" point the cardiologist mentioned. I'm upping the walk to 0.35mi tomorrow and I've I'm still unaffected (heart rate not exceeding 90bpm) I'll move to 0.5mi. I'm definitely not ready to "run" but I'm super frustrated with the lack of "do something". I would spend more time on the computer but after about 10min I start to get a terrible headache. I'm hoping I can pick up the yard or rake leaves jut to burn off some energy soon.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm sure I'll be back to my "normal" self in short order. Just not easy waiting to get there.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Take care of yourself!!!! Jeff