Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 pm Looks like the thru hull is not bonded and becoming its own anode? No?
That is the only metal in the water (excluding rudder p&g). I don’t think I have an actual anode anywhere on the boat. I need to get her hauled out an painted. My plan is to address that fresh water outlet at that time. I may actually close off the thru hull and send the water to the bilge pump. Seems like a bad idea. So does having just that one thru hull.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

All bonding systems need an anode or the least noble metal becomes one afaik. So, if it is the only through hull, then it is your boat's anode, by default. Sort of...

Noted on your boat, it is not bonded or tied to the grounding systems and it must be.

If you had another real zinc anode in the system and were tied to it, that zinc would do all the corrosion.

Once your engine is back, the aluminum on it will probably become the least noble metal and corrode, but because it is not tied to the thru hull, the thru hull will also corrode. Unless your ob has zincs..then they would be the anode for the boat, if connected to the other bonded items.

Anyhow, I know enough to know that isn't right, but not enough to sound half intelligent.

Your outboard also needs an anode and if it doesn't have one; get one and tie it to the boat's bonding system.

I have to research if my outboards zincs need any special attention or if the battery is enough.

My skiff has zincs with a ring terminal to connect to the boats bonding system, but I never bother in freshwater.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The merc 9.9 was set for salt and is getting new anodes while in the shop. So they tell me. We shall see.

If I keep that thru-hull it will be replaced with simple plastic with a screen on the outside. what I really want to do is just seal it closed and run it out the back via a pump. but that seems like a bad idea. The only thing that goes through it is the head freshwater sink and the gally freshwater sink. I don't see the point though. Just replace with plastic and call it done.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Is it a drain?

Is it below the waterline?

Not a fan of plastic thru hulls below waterline. If they break off....

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah... it's a drain. all it drains are two unused sinks. I could put it above the water line as both sinks are high enough. At some point that entire thing needs to "go away" and be relocated to an area that is less likely to get whacked by stuff in the void (where the engine used to be is now storage and things will be in/out of the area regularly).

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Anytime a drain can be above water; do it.

But always install a flexible fitting and always use a p trap to keep skeeters out of living spaces.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 am Anytime a drain can be above water; do it.

But always install a flexible fitting and always use a p trap to keep skeeters out of living spaces.
Totally agree with you fallguy. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:11 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:57 am Anytime a drain can be above water; do it.

Totally agree with you fallguy. Tom
I've never seen real P traps on little sailboats. Everything just goes straight to the drink. Also, no ridged plumbing. Remember that these suckers roll like sweet corn in butter at a southern family reunion. if you have any water in a line it will be out the drain and back into your cabin pretty quick. On the J we had to shut off ALL the stop cocks undersail as water would go the wrong way. If you need to use the head, there was a procedure list...
1. Do your business.
2. open line to black water tank.
3. Turn on head pump
4. open raw water line
5. count to 5
6. rotate pump handle clockwise
7. pump till your business is gone.
8. close raw water line
9. rotate pump handle counter clockwise.
10. pump till empty
11. close black water tank
12. turn off head pump.
13. You know you made a mess... clean it up.

It was crazy to see water coming up the gally drain underway. But that's just how it worked once you had that thru hull buried and the boat started into the rollers. the sink was just above the water line so a large wave would raise the water in the drain. I can't wait to have that problem with Lil Bit More.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure those work with … solids.

🤢