Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

I'm not sure it's really mine...

The Mrs and I have decided that all plans to build a boat have to be put on indefinite hold. Lot's of reasons, but in the end, it is more about making sure that we are doing things together than enjoying life separately. Unbeknownst to me, the Mrs, knowing this conversation was coming, started working her network and she was able to very quickly get us in to look at a couple "maybe" boats. We both landed on a Helms 24 as the right boat for our "now".

We took the weekend to inventory and organize. After a couple hours we took a few photos to share. We have a bit of work to do, but none of it is difficult (except maybe the stuff at the masthead). Pictures aren't in chronological order (who as time for that?) but they do tell the story for us...

She sits on a finger at the public marina here in Beaufort. Water and power included. There is a 20gal white water tank, but no blackwater tank (or pump out opening) that I could find. We didn't want a tank on board and would have converted to a composting head anyway. These pics are after my first pass of rerunning deck side lines (that mess on the mast is next!).
8109 8110
8111 8112

Mrs may have caught me day dreaming but I did get a nice picture of her coming up the companionway. In my defense she was trying out the V Berth before I laid down.

Being a 24' hull the forward berth is a bit tight. We can both fit comfortably, but, as it currently sits, it's a tad claustrophobic. I need to consider a replacement hatch and I will be installing a couple fans. After the nap, Mrs ran up to the coffee shop and brought back some "get your butt moving" juice and cracked the whip. Mary attempted to help, but generally, a 1.5yr old boykin's idea of help requires the purchase of new lines... At least the jib sheets were already well worn out.

Here's the short list of things we know need to get completed:
Before we do sailing:
• Service are remount the short shaft Merc 4 so the intakes are actually in the water.
• Fix the depth sounder
• Get all nav lights working... right now I have half a starboard bow light.
• Clean the sails.
• Find better location for anchor.
• Finish the PO efforts to replace jib sheets, roller furler line, and lazy jacks

No impact to sailing, but need done:
• Acquire stove
• Head accommodations
• Complete removal of the atomic 4 wiring harness.
• Sort out the house wiring and battery charging systems
• Fix/replace the wind instruments and other mast head components.
• Repair a "ding" on the cabin roof.
• Bright work (that is never done is it?)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jeff »

Congrats Jaysen!!! We look forward to getting het prepared for sailing!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I am thinking you made the smartest move for now. You and the boss can go play right away and see how you like it before jumping in the deep end of the pool.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fair winds Jaysen and Mrs.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks all.

I've been going back and forth on electrical. I've been thinking of running as much duplex type runs from the breakers as possible instead of using the "ground trunk" method. The small size and wide open space makes it super easy for me to pull the duplex. Also, the duplex ensures that I have ground and V+ immediately available without having to think about it. What's our collective opinion on this?

I'm also in shock after looking at the prices of new outboards. You all with big motors ... you must have the golden hen somewhere. If I need to replace the Merc 4hp due to "too small" I'm likely to give a LOT of consideration to electric inboard with a Honda neighbor hater for longer trips. It won't cost too much more than a new 6hp XL shaft (unless I find that the box has been glassed over....).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ground trunk for me.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm ...it is more about making sure that we are doing things together than enjoying life separately.
Great call, I'm in complete agreement.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am Ground trunk for me.
How are you calculating max amp on the ground trunk? Since most of my circuits won't be dedicated "forward/aft" (ex nav and cabin lights both have fore and aft devices) I was just going to make draw for wire size something stupid like "sum of all fuses".
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:27 am
Jaysen wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm ...it is more about making sure that we are doing things together than enjoying life separately.
Great call, I'm in complete agreement.
Was never really a question. We just had hoped that we didn't need to answer it for a bit longer.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

i like to keep things real simple so its a run of duplex for everything for me. Makes it much easier to trouble shoot. And more often than not I find the ground is the problem. I am sure there are better ways but this way works for me.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Too cool! Given the price of used sail boats you made the right decision and a 24' will certainly give you a taste of what you are dreaming of.
Not sure what you are talking about with the wiring. I ran duplex (and triplex) everywhere and have a common ground bar with fuses for everything that didn't have an inline or internal fuse.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman