Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

Jeff wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:36 am Sounds like a lot of work for your birthday but the bottle of rum sounds promising!!!! Enjoy your birthday!!! Jeff
You are right on all counts. The nice thing is that enjoying my day is easy. You know I married up. Way up. One smile from her and hell turns into heaven!
TomW1 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:19 pm Happy birthday Jaysen, nice to see you back working on the Helms.

Tom
Thanks Tom! Never really stopped on the helms, she just took a back seat to other issues. Once we get the sails stitched back together I hope to be able to focus on her like I have the projects for the boss lady (the one with the smile).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Happy birthday! One more and I will have to stop calling you "the kid".......................well maybe :P

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysens birthday rum was delicious but made for a rough next-morning of driving :help:

I'll give a full account once I'm home but want to note that we had an incredibly fun weekend with the odells in st helena Island and can safely say that there are exactly as many fish in those waters as there were when we arrived, so no worries there. Jaysen spoiled us with a home-cooked breakfast featuring his neighbors eggs(chicken eggs) and an incredible caught-cooked cobia and weakfish, amazing! Beyond that, many many laughs, shared stories and a few notes picked on some string boxes. Instant family!

Thanks again and happy 63rd buddy!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

There has to be more to the 63rd commit. Fess up :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Hahahaha!!!

I know I had a bit difficult time getting my eyes open at 5:30. I may have killed another couple glasses after you and Mrs Jeff turned in.

Mrs and I were all “I wonder how we convince them to come back…” I’ll take credit for being able to not destroy some perfect pieces of fish, but they meal was made by all of us sitting at a table laughing and swapping stories. It really felt like meeting up with old friends that you know will be around for as long as you’re breathing.

Y’all, Mrs Jeff… she’s the bomb. All about the fish and the water. My wife … not so much on the fish and water yet C said “E is perfect! I love her!” If you ever get the opportunity to host, them sign up. You won’t be disappointed.

Fuzzy, I know Jeff is having a hood poke at “the old guy that is still young”. There was a moment when I realized the relative ages of everyone at the table and we all had a good laugh. That said, Jeff has met the post-Covid shell that I’ve become. I put on a good face, but it’s like having emphysema. I feel like I’m 70 and cough the minute there’s physical exertion is needed. That said, I’m still a (relative) kid on paper.

I have some rum to kill. So y’all get off my yard!

Hahahaha
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 pm There has to be more to the 63rd commit. Fess up :D
I was just giving him some !@#$ cause he made a few comments about being old, getting old, etc when he's 5+ years YOUNGER than me!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:14 am
Fuzz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 pm There has to be more to the 63rd commit. Fess up :D
I was just giving him some !@#$ cause he made a few comments about being old, getting old, etc when he's 5+ years YOUNGER than me!
Good thing I only feel 63.

BTW, I’m thinking of getting a case of those bottles. That stuff vanishes way too fast.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:22 am BTW, I’m thinking of getting a case of those bottles. That stuff vanishes way too fast.
My head hurts already!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:26 am
Jaysen wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:22 am BTW, I’m thinking of getting a case of those bottles. That stuff vanishes way too fast.
My head hurts already!
If you keep drinking the hangover doesn’t get a chance to start…

That’s what I keep telling myself. Mrs was thrilled I behaved myself. Birthday weekend is normally followed by “recovery week”. She couldn’t believe that bottle has lasted. I didn’t tell her several others maybe a bit emptier this morning.

I may have a rum problem… I’m getting low!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Well... there a bit more delay here.

Apparently not going to a doctor for a couple decades will catch up with you. Sunday night I had a "severe cardiac event". Luckily I knew something was brewing so I was already at the hospital when my body tried to give up on my brain. I have some metal added to keep the pump running, a pile of "that part is dead", and a lot of extra pill bottles. Start the formal "cardio rehab" junk next week. Dr has suggested that I've been "broken so long, you won't see any practical difference in what you can do AFTER rehab... don't be stupid and over do it before then though" (I like this doctor).

That said, sailing is still in the future.
Probably not happening for a couple months.
Offshore fishing likely out for a bit.
Lil Bit will be part of my rehab (talked to them earlier today).
Wife is still here but looking at me with a bit of glare (which I deserve).
BBC is still in my list of things to manage, but I may be slower to address issues or questions for a bit.

Fuzz, seems I may be overly eager to get that CLOOF status.