Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:08 am cross poseted with OQ...

There really is only one spot for the tank. I'd have to go to a standard tank laying in the cockpit floor to make the motor "work as designed". The solution is the same one us old car people have to use when we move to e15 based fuel lines... positive pressure in the system. It's basically the same thing you do with a primer bulb. All the pump will do is ensure there is always pressure to the float (like if you were constantly squeezing the bulb like I have to do to get back on the dock)

pump pulls from tank (neg pressure)
pump pushes to carb (pos pressure)
float closes bowl input (pos pressure)
Bowl feeds jet (neg pressure)
Jet feeds cylinder (neg pressure)

A $30 fuel pump is much closer to the budget than a $4k 4smoke motor. Especially since we are still in the "do we really want to keep this boat" stage with the Boss. I do have a motor in mind but it actually needs a pump by design. At least that's what the tech told me. Granted that's and EFI motor so....

Also, on motor tanks tend to be problematic. Biggest issues are the fuel selectors corroding as well as water getting in them when you refill off the dock (which will happen given that I'm pushing 4k displacement with a larger wind profile). I have seen one persons that replumbed the "external tank" input to fill the on-motor tank via a pump from the in-hull tank. Not sure I'd want to invalidate the warranty on a brand new motor....
What happens when the pump is dead heading when the bowl is closed? Maybe Ken's idea for a return line?

The headaches pumping seem bigger than making a tank platform for a one gallon tank.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:34 pm Do you have room for a small 1-2ish?? Gal tank at the proper level? Then use a float in it to control your electric pump filling it and your engine can pump easily from it?
I thought about that. Still trying to figure out how I would vent it properly. There isn’t much room in the cockpit thanks to tiller and transom mounted nonsense. Also not sure how I’d manage the shut off float (mostly because I haven’t looked). Honestly, this would be my ideal choice to make this work. Reality is that I could use a really small tank (a couple cups) as the fuel pumps are pretty quiet and it wouldn’t even be detectable over the 2 smoke noise.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 pm What happens when the pump is dead heading when the bowl is closed? Maybe Ken's idea for a return line?

The headaches pumping seem bigger than making a tank platform for a one gallon tank.
The pump shuts off until line pressure drops to a set level (can be set to 0psi). I was planning to use the same pump I have in the MG which is the ONLY thing that never seems to malfunction. Basically the carb bowl become the intermediate tank in theory.

As I noted on narfi’s post, I wanted a transfer tank style setup but it feels fragile.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.