Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by fallguy1000 »

Best story on this thread is you going for it bro.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Well done Jaysen! And a great report. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Niace report Jaysen, enjoyed the report. Don't we all have things to repair from time to time. Glad you found it now.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I still think you need a go-pro set up showing the skipper doing his thing. Now that could be some Utube classic stuff :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

GoPro may be happening. More for my own review and the boss ladies amusement.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Yes, jib and main should be easily able to withstand that gybe, uncontrolled or not, in those windspeeds. I would consider it a stroke of luck that the damage was close to home, and also that it revealed needed repairs. I second the call on the topping lift.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I knew the jib was due a replacement. Converted from hank to furler with no UV strips. It was thin. The slides are an easy fix. The main itself is solid. That’s a simple fix. Parts ordered and new METAL slides due to arrive next week.

I can’t imagine a better person at to break crap. We were never out of range of the home marina and they were ready to come rescue (advantage of working there). Luckily we were able ti keep moving under sail and the motor held up to get us in the dock.

I felt like it was a solid plan… run her under higher wind with too much sail and see what breaks. Won’t be too much longer and we will have her ready for some real sailing.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:11 pm I felt like it was a solid plan… run her under higher wind with too much sail and see what breaks. Won’t be too much longer and we will have her ready for some real sailing.
Real sailing: in unexpectedly higher winds with too much sail. Suddenly wtf, the whatsit is busted. :wink:
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’m hoping to stop that particular intentional method of wallet drain. I do tend to be faster on the reef than is needed but I’m 100% certain that it will happen more than once.

Message from sailmaker has the Mrs in sticker shock. Looks like we are out of the sailing crowd for a few months until the pennies are collected. Until then I’ll start working on more electrical projects.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:46 am I’m hoping to stop that particular intentional method of wallet drain. I do tend to be faster on the reef than is needed but I’m 100% certain that it will happen more than once.

Message from sailmaker has the Mrs in sticker shock. Looks like we are out of the sailing crowd for a few months until the pennies are collected. Until then I’ll start working on more electrical projects.
Try plugging some measurements in here and see if something affordable pops up.

https://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/we ... l&cart_id=
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie