Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 pm Not sure those work with … solids.

🤢
It uses a flapper valve and I would guess you would follow a solid with a liquid to complete the flush. When I was looking at them in home depot they were the easiest to blow through but could not blow soft enough to get air past them, I bought 2.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm Well…

Started back in the tank. I will admit to engaging the B. F. H. and getting no where. Broke out the grinder and cut everything that wasn’t going to be in the boat next week out. Washed it down a bit.
So what am I looking at in this picture?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:25 am
Jaysen wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:27 pm Well…

Started back in the tank. I will admit to engaging the B. F. H. and getting no where. Broke out the grinder and cut everything that wasn’t going to be in the boat next week out. Washed it down a bit.
So what am I looking at in this picture?
That's "the void". Back wall is transom. thing in the middle is the old muffler, and the foreground is the sail drive mount. When I started the day it looked like

By the end of the day

We had to cut out the metal bracket that was going to hold the gas tank. We removed all the "it will never be used" remnants that were removable (the muffler and the sail drive mount are integrated into the hull). All the old blower ducting, scrap parts, a lot of dirt, and random detritus collected over the years... gone. I'm going to head down and scrub it here this afternoon and will get a new mounting plan for the tank figured out. I'm hoping to push the tank further back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The saildrive was what I did not understand, never been around one before. Kind of strange they would glass the muffler into the hull but I have seen some strange things done by the factories.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

I feel like I must be missing something. All thru-hulls beneath the waterline should have ball valves. All hoses should be double-clamped with 100% stainless clamps. All should have soft wooden plugs on a lanyard next to the thru-hull. The white stuff around that pipe (what is that, galvanized??) gives me the creeps. "Plastic" thru-hulls aren't plastic, they're Marelon, which is fine and won't corrode. Why would you want a check valve? Not sure what the toilet is but most have them internally. That's no place for a check valve. Close it manually when not in use.

I'm sure I must be missing something but that setup looks very, very dodgy. 8O
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

No plumbed head on my boat. The head stores was about racing the J30 and the head being a shite show due to wave action/back flow.

On Lil Bit More, the only below water thru hull is the sink drains. That bronze unit is all messed up from lack of care from PO. I will address it proper when she’s out for bottom job. When I do replace it I’ll make all kinds of bad decisions around rerouting the plumbing and material choices. One thing I really want to do is move that entire thing out of “the line of impact” relative to things stowed in the void. Not sure where it will go as the convenient locations are difficult to access for emergency shutoff.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Do you have any bonding system at all?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Use a different term than bonding.

Not being dense. Just want to answer the question correctly.

Also, I’m 100% sure the boat is not right.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

OK, got it.
Fall guy is not wrong, but there is a downside to having the sink drain above the waterline, which is that the sink will probably only drain when at a berth or anchor. At least, it won't drain when you are heeled and the sink is on the low side. Maybe this isn't something that would bother you. But if you do place the thru-hull beneath the waterline, see above about proper installation.
Tony

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 pm Use a different term than bonding.

Not being dense. Just want to answer the question correctly.

Also, I’m 100% sure the boat is not right.
Are all the things that are metal and below the waterline attached to a/the grounding system?

Obviously one is not.

Is the outboard a battery start or pull? Is the anode going to be connected to the bonding system?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495