Carolina Skiff J16

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Carolina Skiff J16

Post by bklake »

Forum seems to be up and running. You have to sign in to see all the sections including Repair section. http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/

A look at all the pieces coming out will verify the construction. That build method allowed them to build a sole, add stringers and flotation in one quick step. I bet it didn't take more than 20 minutes with 2 workers to do everything. Stringers, flotation, deck, 20 minutes, done. Build speed was the goal. In 2008, a brand new hull was $1200. It was extensively optioned out with a bow eye and a wire under the rub rail for lights. The J series boat are built differently, that is for sure. Stupid by "standard" building methods. Genius by get the out the door as fast and inexpensively as possible standards.

I would look at the max HP for that hull. I think it was 40 or 50. Way back when, there were people on the skiff forum advocating putting the biggest engine on you could fit without sinking it. I have a 25 on my J14 and it is too much. It can go way faster than is safe for the conditions I encounter. I suppose if you live on a private lake that you own and no other boats were there you could go full speed but one ripple in the water is going to toss you around. Most J-16s I see have 25-30HP and the owners are perfectly happy. The J14 is a pain to balance and get on plane. J16 rarely reported those problems. The 16 was a much better balanced boat.

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

The deck was pretty thick (11 to 12 mm) as well so it was also adding to the rigidity of the overall structure.

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

The motor that was on it when I got it is a Johnson 88, i found the specs and maximum is a 60 hp. I will probably go for something closer to a 60 HP.

Interesting on the construction but it makes senses. They were cheap hulls. Even a couple years ago it could still be had for around 2k new.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My J14 has a max of 30HP. With 25, it goes way too fast for me. Straight line is fine, in a turn it can get scary if I don't slow down first. It is just not the hull to go 40 knots in. Unless you want to constantly speed up and slow down for turns. Sometimes you have to turn and don't have time to slow down. Lighter is better with these. Not a lot of freeboard to play with.

I would call the construction inexpensive, frugal, thrifty, efficient, but not cheap. They hold up well and were a good value that got a lot of people on the water. I don't think the dealers liked them because there was little profit in the sale. You could buy just the pieces you wanted and nothing more. Mine is 12 years old now and holding up great.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

mcreynolds wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:25 pm
bklake wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:57 am Forum seems to be up and running. You have to sign in to see all the sections including Repair section. http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/

A look at all the pieces coming out will verify the construction. That build method allowed them to build a sole, add stringers and flotation in one quick step. I bet it didn't take more than 20 minutes with 2 workers to do everything. Stringers, flotation, deck, 20 minutes, done. Build speed was the goal. In 2008, a brand new hull was $1200. It was extensively optioned out with a bow eye and a wire under the rub rail for lights. The J series boat are built differently, that is for sure. Stupid by "standard" building methods. Genius by get the out the door as fast and inexpensively as possible standards.

I would look at the max HP for that hull. I think it was 40 or 50. Way back when, there were people on the skiff forum advocating putting the biggest engine on you could fit without sinking it. I have a 25 on my J14 and it is too much. It can go way faster than is safe for the conditions I encounter. I suppose if you live on a private lake that you own and no other boats were there you could go full speed but one ripple in the water is going to toss you around. Most J-16s I see have 25-30HP and the owners are perfectly happy. The J14 is a pain to balance and get on plane. J16 rarely reported those problems. The 16 was a much better balanced boat.
I suggest you check out the Carolina Skiff J12 boat model, man. I left the link below.
{link removed}
I would avoid this link provided. It is a link that shows up in search engines. I went there in a lockbox browser window. The text and descriptions seem to be broken non standard English and grammar. Beware. And, the reply is not relevant to the conversation. Phishing alert.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I removed the post and updated your quote to avoid folks accidentally clicking it.

Thanks!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you Jaysen!!! Jeff