Pontoon Cat questions

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
DerekMartin

Pontoon Cat questions

Post by DerekMartin »

Hi Jacques,

I have been thinking of getting my family a pontoon boat, but would rather build one! I like the PC24, but the PC20 would probably fit better in our garage... Of course, enough seating is a consideration (we would need to seat at least 8). One question that immediately springs to mind, is that the example layouts all have a (looks like about 5') platform forward of the seating area. Is it advisable/possible to extend the seating area forward, much closer to the ends of the pontoons (something like Lowe SS210 or Bennington 208SL)? What would you say is the minimum forward platform length?

Thanks!
Derek Martin

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pontoon Cat questions

Post by jacquesmm »

You can do what you want above deck, what the plans show are suggestions but 8 persons in that boat is a lot. The layouts I show are reasonable for 6 persons but will be very crowded with 8. If you extend seating forward, the balance of the boat will be poor, probably unsafe.
For 8 persons, I would look at the PC24.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

DMartin
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Pontoon Cat questions

Post by DMartin »

That makes sense, and I'm not terribly surprised. I am the largest in our clan by far; I thought about having a bench seat in the back and using a tiller outboard. I will not risk it though; I'll keep planning and see about fitting a 24'er.

Thanks!
Derek