PG 20 Wiring Critique

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: PG 20 Wiring Critique

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:27 pm
Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:14 pm
FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:45 pm I changed the ACR grounds. The positives are seperate isolations blocks. I guess with the sound, are you saying you would have a switch for the amp and head unit?
Yes. Separate switch. You need to be able to shut it off hard without needing tools.

Consider motor alternator failure. All you want on at that point are safety equipment. Nav lights, vhf (switch to handheld), and bilge when you see it filling. Every other device should be off ensuring as much juice as possible to the motor. Even better would be small kicker you could run. Either way... kill all unneeded electronics hard.

Hope that makes sense.
Is this why we see an instruments switch on the panel? So that we can kill power to say 3-6 items in an emergency?

ty, Dan
Yes. Consider the draw of those instruments. Transducers have large draw. So do transmitting radios and audio amps. If you want them to start “on” then use a “normally closed” relay or wire the relay to fire on power up with a momentary switch to cycle to open for emergency.

Personally I would use a standard illuminated on/off to trigger a relay. Leave the switch on and it all powers up with the battery switch. When SHTF (bat alarms sound) you flip the switch off and switch over to handheld vhf.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:38 pm Yes. Consider the draw of those instruments. Transducers have large draw. So do transmitting radios and audio amps. If you want them to start “on” then use a “normally closed” relay or wire the relay to fire on power up with a momentary switch to cycle to open for emergency.

Personally I would use a standard illuminated on/off to trigger a relay. Leave the switch on and it all powers up with the battery switch. When SHTF (bat alarms sound) you flip the switch off and switch over to handheld vhf.
When SHTF is exactly when I am not going to turn off my radio(with much better range than a handheld) or a navigation device that has my gps coordinates. Not that a see a VHF in this diagram. Turning off the speakers and transducer isn't a bad idea, but you can do that pretty quick at each device. I could see a benefit to individually switching all of the devices if you have the space, but putting them all on one switch you plan to turn off in an emergency handicaps you IMO.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:45 pm I changed the ACR grounds. The positives are seperate isolations blocks. I guess with the sound, are you saying you would have a switch for the amp and head unit?
Yes. Separate switch. You need to be able to shut it off hard without needing tools.

Consider motor alternator failure. All you want on at that point are safety equipment. Nav lights, vhf (switch to handheld), and bilge when you see it filling. Every other device should be off ensuring as much juice as possible to the motor. Even better would be small kicker you could run. Either way... kill all unneeded electronics hard.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense. If you have a circuit breaker like the attachment, couldn't you just push the button to trip it. I have one for the amp. I could also get one to put in front of simrad and fusion radio.
Attachments
51ikKfn2KaL._AC_SY400_.jpg
51ikKfn2KaL._AC_SY400_.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Joe2700, valid options. I wasn’t really thinking about VHF range as I’m normally not so far out that a handheld won’t get it. I would suggest that external switching should be preferred to running through settings.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 pm
Yes, it makes sense. If you have a circuit breaker like the attachment, couldn't you just push the button to trip it. I have one for the amp. I could also get one to put in front of simrad and fusion radio.
That should work with circuit breakers like the one you linked that can be used as switches, as long as you have easy access to it. That said, while I might not agree with Jaysen completely on this one, if you do want to be able to turn these off in an emergency as he suggests, a switch on the dash would be quicker, and much harder to forget about compared to a circuit breaker hidden away.

You also can't get that style small enough for the simrad and fusion so you have to have it and smaller fuses.

It's common to have one circuit breaker for all house loads right off the battery switch, you'll even see that in the blue seas diagrams. If you moved the amp circuit breaker there(an upsize it) and just put a large fuse on the amp you could turn off all house loads leaving nothing but the motor connected without adding any extra circuit breakers.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 pm

Hope that makes sense.
My personal preference would be what Joe was suggesting, separate switches for each device at the controls. He makes good points about VHF range and nav coordinates. I forget that I’m in a minority in my reliance on hand held units. If you feel that your breakers will allow you adequate control in less than ideal conditions I think they would do the trick.

I think there is great advice from all the contributors. Let us know where you land. I will eventually post my wiring plan for similar feedback. Hopefully folks will help me improve my plan.

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

All great suggestions. This boat will never be anywhere i couldn't either swim to shore or just stand up in shallow water. I think I may keep the radio and simrad fused as is without a switch. I will add a circuit breaker between the on/off switch and the rocker switch panel. Add the fuses close to the batteries for the ACR for the + and close to ACR for the -.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

My plan is pretty hard to do. We have two remote battery switches and two starts and one ignition and two step up transformers and ugh. A bit overwhelming.

I don't recall seeing an acr in the plan, so a question to the tech.

I am a bit nervous to be honest.

Again, thanks for all the chatter. I am pretty good with epoxy, but less so with the wiring. And I don't do Cad...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

FluidDynamic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by FluidDynamic »

I chose the ACR so I could charge batteries as I run off the motor alternator. I originally was just going to use the 1 2 1+2 switch. It would work fine.

I was nervous about wiring also, but alot of research and learning while I go, its not so bad.

I would just draw it by hand. Especially if its going to be really complicated.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

FluidDynamic wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 pm All great suggestions. This boat will never be anywhere i couldn't either swim to shore or just stand up in shallow water. I think I may keep the radio and simrad fused as is without a switch. I will add a circuit breaker between the on/off switch and the rocker switch panel. Add the fuses close to the batteries for the ACR for the + and close to ACR for the -.
My boat is designed for further out, but I didn't want to go to the next radio up as too much hullaboo.

I am hoping I get as much help with mine. I hired a tech and am buying it all thru his company; so they are making a bunch on the parts. Hate to say how much. And I pay some for the consult. But I still will need help. We are using digital switching as well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495