HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Well it's starting to look like the drawing my former self had planned for the case......

Started drizzling last night but I think the thickened epoxy was set enough it hopefully won't have too much affect on it.... Will see if it gets nice enough today to dry the plywood so I can glass it.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32.74 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
20210901_171631.jpg
20210901_171655.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Monday was last day before school started so even though there wasn't much wind we took the freshly repaired boat out for a sail.

By the time we got out the channel to the main lake it had pretty much died completely. The sail didn't even rattle.... I had to paddle periodically to keep us pointed the right direction and we just hung out enjoying a beautiful evening going nowhere....

After an hour or so of paddle drifting out neighbors pulled up in a boat to say hi and we invited their son to finish the 'sail' with us. Kind of a fun operation, me doing the splits between the canoe and one outrigger holding the gunnel of their boat and then his hand as he stepped on the outrigger and then stabilized him as he walked across the front beam into the canoe. Then I got to realize how old I was trying to go from doing the splits over open water to somehow getting back in the canoe myself.....

About that time the breeze picked up slightly and we sailed out to the middle of the lake and then back in around the island and home. We scraped bottom a couple of times but the fiberglass reinforced leading edge corners were not affected at our slow speeds.

Back into the bay the wind died down again so we paddled back to the ramp.

All in all a very slow but enjoyable afternoon.

Back on the cart and pulled it home, I hit a tree in our driveway with the starboard rudder and ripped it off :(

Back to the manufacturer for warentee work....

Just when I thought I was ready to dig out the plane project again another boat repair :p

No damage to the hull side of the hinge, just tore the rudder side off, so can repair it on the table.
20210906_194650.jpg
20210907_165859.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Tough luck Narfi. Is it worth considering using some type of shear pin to avoid rudder damage?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Maybe.... But not often it would ever see forces like that. I can't blame the design, hitting something solid when being towed will end in something breaking. I'm lucky it didn't do more damage.

The pins I am using are plastic and I wondered if they would be strong enough... Obviously they were.

What kind of pin could I use that would be strong and slick enough for normal usage, yet break under impact?

To be fair I don't seem too opposed to dragging on the bottom from time to time. So they need to be able to withstand those forces without disabling the boat.

Current plan is to repair back to what it was as it was *"hangar rash" not normal use that damaged it.

*what we call it when we push a plane into another plane or wall or toolbox or run a ground vehicle into an aircraft causing some sort of damage.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Picture for Jayson. Was hoping for another nice afternoon to take the sailboat out before it got too cold...... But might be time to unbolt the canoe and flip it over. :(
20210922_122517.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Narfi, way too early for snow!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You all really need to move someplace where the precipitation is always liquid.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

No snow yet but it was 22f here this morning on this side of the mountain so it is not far away.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow Fuzz!! Too cold up there!! You and Narfi take good care of yourselves!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I guess I know who to blame for the unacceptable cold this morning. Went outside for my run. 64f
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.