HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by TomW1 »

Looking great Narfi. Have fun on her. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

So... Second sail today. We did a pass around the bay then headed for open water... Wind was a little better than first night but still quite mild. We hit quite a few dead spots but always picked back up and maintained forward motion.

The waves on the lake were not bad and the trimaran was solid, but the mast moved a lot and the forestay which I knew was loose was worse with the stress on it so we turned back and got back to the ramp safely. The wind had mostly died off when we entered the channel to the bay and we had to tack a few times to get through, got off to the side as much as possible when a float plane was landing and hit the leeboard close to shore once. The cord stretched some when hit and I think maybe some stretchier rope might be good enough for kickup on it.

The trailer under canoe and skids under outriggers is working great behind the Honda 4wheeler the less than 1 mile down the runway to the boat ramp.

After we got home I redid the forestay and shrouds much tighter then started fiddling with the steering system, first dummied up longer yokes which helped some but still not good. Dummied up some tillers and they were very smooth. I just need to stop being stubborn with the cable system and make some tillers. :(

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You will get there! When you design and build your first sail boat I would be shocked if there were not some teething problems.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Almost there Narfi!!! Congrats to you and Landon!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Do they still make slip-n-slides? When I was a kid we had one. I imagine if you covered it in a few gallons of vegetable oil and doused yourself in more oil..... That's about how slick and smooth my new steering system is.

Only concern now is to keep them from banging around while trailering..... Bare wood till we can test it on the water.... It is a prototype after all... Made it all with 2x4s on the band saw. The crossover pole was a scrap cut off a 2by from the structure for our new patio roof. Knocked the corners off the square with the cordless DeWalt plainer and (not much effort put into it) sanded the 8 new corners a little.

Eyebolts in the ends of the tillers and rod with a plastic rod (off cuts from the rudder hinge pins) as the connecting pin with washers and cotter pins.
20210814_180306.jpg
20210814_180317.jpg
20210814_180340.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

narfi wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm I think I figured out how to make it way too strong.... Now just need to figure out a compromise of too tough to ever break and too heavy to float.....

Capture.JPG
Should have done it like this..... now I have to do it anyway :)
20210819_182508.jpg
20210819_182508.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
20210819_182458.jpg
20210819_182458.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

Edit: guess quoting myself doesn't show the picture, you can look back at it, it is my original drawing of the gussets to support the leeboard case.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am
20210819_182458.jpg

Edit: guess quoting myself doesn't show the picture, you can look back at it, it is my original drawing of the gussets to support the leeboard case.
That's because they are attachments and not gallery photos. phpBB is very inconsistent in properly managing attachment includes. Gallery includes will never fail in quotes (unless you remove the image tags)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Work is still summer busy (not sure if it will slow for winter or not) so haven't got a lot done, weather hasn't been great either.... Mostly both excuses for feeling lazy in the evenings last week........

Cut and kicked the leeboard case till I broke it off the beam and rebuilding it. I hadn't glassed the inside corners any first time around, this time 3x layers of 6oz on each corner and another layer of 6oz between them, so 4 layers right at each inside corner.

3x layers of 12oz biax around the outside corners. (Overkill anyone?)

I cut into the glass on the beam quite a bit getting the case off, so filled the cuts and played 2x layers of 12oz biax over it. Should more than reinforce the area where the case and new gussets will bond.

We have had 2 frosts already..... Running out of good epoxy days and sometimes taking 2 days till I can send it now.... Hopefully we can get it done and back in the water still some this fall.

If I was to do it all over again.... I think I'd make keels on each of the outriggers with reinforced axel holes in each. In my imagination that would have been a pretty slick 'trailer' idea and one less moving part to worry about on the water. This is still fun though :)
20210830_175001.jpg
20210830_175026.jpg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

narfi wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 am Work is still summer busy (not sure if it will slow for winter or not) so haven't got a lot done, weather hasn't been great either.... Mostly both excuses for feeling lazy in the evenings last week........

Cut and kicked the leeboard case till I broke it off the beam and rebuilding it. I hadn't glassed the inside corners any first time around, this time 3x layers of 6oz on each corner and another layer of 6oz between them, so 4 layers right at each inside corner.

3x layers of 12oz biax around the outside corners. (Overkill anyone?)

I cut into the glass on the beam quite a bit getting the case off, so filled the cuts and played 2x layers of 12oz biax over it. Should more than reinforce the area where the case and new gussets will bond.

We have had 2 frosts already..... Running out of good epoxy days and sometimes taking 2 days till I can send it now.... Hopefully we can get it done and back in the water still some this fall.

If I was to do it all over again.... I think I'd make keels on each of the outriggers with reinforced axel holes in each. In my imagination that would have been a pretty slick 'trailer' idea and one less moving part to worry about on the water. This is still fun though :)

Love the trailer idea! Crazy that the season is coming to a close. Still nice weather here in Upstate NY but days are getting noticeably shorter, nights cooler, and the Geese are SENDING it already! No frosts in sight, you get the belt there.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie