HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: HC14 to Sailing Trimaran!

Post by narfi »

Rough cut the sample hinge. Even though It wasn't straight when glassed to the plywood (it's a coiled price of PEX I just straightened by hand) it seemed to work well enough to persue with more care.

Shoved a steel rod through a length to keep it straight and glassed it to a price of plywood with 2x layers of 6oz woven, it looks pretty clean I think and should work well.

Glued the blocks and brackets to the beams for attaching the canoe.

Used some left over epoxy to glass some of the rudder and board corners with scraps of 6oz woven.
20210628_173846.jpg
20210628_192228.jpg
20210628_192127.jpg
20210628_192127.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Drilled the mounting holes in the attach brackets and canoe rubrails.

Took the canoe off and flipped the outriggers.

Sanded off excess glue around attach brackets and beam to hull connection.

Filled all those joints with thickened epoxy fillets and glassed with 2x layers of 6oz woven. I suspect it would have been quicker and easier to just use 12oz biax but I was hoping for a cleaner less sanding needed finish. Instead got lots of glass hairs balled up everywhere and always working against the clock with epoxy gelling. Still not too bad, it will work :)

Forgot to take a picture but also glassed up the second chunk of hinge stock. Each peice is enough for 2x hinge halves so the 2 will be enough for all 4 halves needed to attach both rudders.
20210629_214945.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Sanded back the edges of all the glass on the mounting brackets and beam to hull junctions.

Three coats of graphite and epoxy to the bottoms of the hull roughly 2 hours apart worked well as it was a hot (for Alaska) day, 75f outside and 110f inside the tent, so the epoxy mixed really well and cured quickly. Just had to roll fast.

Only down side is all the bugs I trapped, but as I keep telling myself, this isn't a project for beauty, it is an experiment in function........

Cut both sets of rudder hinges and really happy with how they turned out.
20210630_210603.jpg
20210630_210551.jpg
20210630_203656.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Dummied up the rudder cases to test the hinge fit and very happy with them. They are just glued on with thickened epoxy right now, still need to glass the hinges securely in place, I made sure to sand back enough relief on the hinges there will still be room for the extra glass.

Took a couple days off from epoxy and started making aluminum peices.

Hinging mast step, I had been stressing quiet a bit over how to mount the mast, but this fell together easily and I am pretty happy with it. It will be riveted together with solid countersunk 1/8" rivets.

Exit blocks for the halyard near the base of the mast.

Masthead with halyard block.

All peices made from 1/8" aluminum sheet and extruded aluminum angle. (Stock I have for the plane I am building, glad I bought extra)

Started making end caps and outhaul blocks for the boom but it was bedtime......

Still need to finish the end caps and blocks for the boom.
Need to figure out the shroud/stay attachment to the mast.
Need to cut the chain plates for the shrouds as well as the ones at the bows for the bridal to the forestay.
20210705_055325.jpg
20210705_055423.jpg
20210705_055443.jpg
20210705_055536.jpg
20210705_055611.jpg
20210705_055700.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Narfi!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Haven't been progressing as fast as I would like, but still getting a little bit done each day.

Here is the leeboard case attached to the beam with 2 layers of 12oz tape along each side and the bottom. Clamp was in the way on top but it's a more awkward spot that won't get a lot of reinforcement, but will try to get a little on it tonight.

The dream is to prime and paint this weekend for the hulls and mast and boom. Not sure if I'll achieve it or not. That will give me a little more space in the tent to finish up all the smaller parts.
20210715_193339.jpg
Someone showed me an unfinished Marples 38ft trimaran on marketplace, all 3 hulls done, attached and painted outside, said the rudders and board still need to be made. But no pictures of inside leaves me guessing a lot of time and money still in finishing needed. (Not to mention getting it here o.0 )

Maybe fuzz needs it so Jayson has something to sail around in when he visits :p

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Perfect conditions for outside painting this weekend. 75f+ outside and 105f in the tent. Slight breeze to keep the bugs away but not windy enough to mess with the paper.

Saturday I did final sanding then a good wash down with scotch Brite and acid etch to clean any grease and dust off then started spraying the System Three Yacht primer but didn't thin it enough for the only nozzle size I have on my gun (used to more options at work :( ) so poured it out in a tray and rolled it. I rolled while my wife brushed the hard to roll spots. Gotta roll with the punches :) by then the bugs were getting bad and evening was cooling off so called it a night.

Sunday I raced home after church and rolled on a second coat of primer which cured pretty quickly using the spit on your finger and rub it on the primer to see if you can soften up and run any off. It was good enough to start spraying off white awlgrip by 4pm and had second coat finished before 6.

At the same time touched up the mounting holes and scratched up rubrail of the canoe, and a repair and rubrail skuffs on the FS17.

Hoping to paint red tonight. It's a bit cloudy this morning so hopefully my painting window will stretch just enough for me to get it done :p

Then I need to start cleaning up in the tent, it's getting out of hand and finish up the rudders and leeboard and get them painted as well. Hopefully have the mast up within a couple days and be painting the rest by weeks end. Next weekend is a bit too optimistic to launch but getting close!
20210718_190628.jpg
20210718_191925.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Bet if you just put a net across the middle you could sail it without the canoe!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

cape man wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:50 am Bet if you just put a net across the middle you could sail it without the canoe!!!
hehe, the thought has crossed my mind, as has making a much longer much narrower center hull...... think I will stick with the plan for now though :P I want to get back to building the airplane soonish.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

This is not an art project, this is not an art project, this is not an art project....... I have to keep telling myself.

Rushed home from work and taped off the white and got 2 coats of red sprayed.
Cleaned the paint gun and took my wife out fishing. Some of you know Im not much of a fisherman but she has been wanting to ever since we finished the fs17 so we got some gear and lisences and tonight caught her first lake trout.

By the time we got home the paint had cured enough to unwrap the paper and see what it looks like. Lots of bugs, a few runs from the paint, a few runs from the primer, a few runs I hadn't sanded in the epoxy and plenty of places I could have faired more..... But all things considering I think it looks pretty good and matches the canoe really well.
20210719_182300.jpg
20210719_212851.jpg
20210719_212906.jpg
20210719_212923.jpg