King Starboard ST

Please see our tutorials and FAQ before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

King Starboard ST

Post by fallguy1000 »

I bought two 3/4" panels of King Starboard ST.

Man, is it heavy. Each panel weighs 120 pounds.

I think the faceframes could have been made from 1/2", but the manufacturer was worried about doors warping at 1/2".

Yesterday, I made a couple door rips at 22 1/4" plus and got the panels down to manageable weights at 60 pounds. Ray helped me, or some denting would have occurred.

The stuff cuts much like wood. One side has a plastic anti-mar surface. I ran it through the joiner and it joints okay, but is really a bit touchy; so super light cuts and razor sharp blades are important.

I am trying to determine a glue that works.

I plan some trial and error, but I think weld-mount might work. Otherwise chem-set 6105 has been reviewed ro work. These two part glues are really expensive, though, and cure times are fast, so I will have to be really ready to glue and probably use 4-8 tips.

I wish Aripeka Angler hadn't left because he might have shed some light on all of this business. Stay tuned. I'll see what I can offer.

I ripped the two 22.25"+ panels and then proceeded with a 7" rip for the upper cabinet upper rail. Then I decided to build all the face frame stiles from 3" material, but perhaps needed to scribe a wider piece on the left side of the lowers, so ripped some at 3.5". Then I ripped a few stile pieces at 3.125" and finally some rail stock at 1.625".

Today, I am sort of out of space for cabinet frame building, so I need to do some glue ups for the tops and tables. Then maybe this weekend, I will attempt to build the faceframes.

If anyone gets this far, I am looking to inset all the doors to save some weight. I need some inset hinges in 316 stainless and some ?magnetic latches?. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: King Starboard ST

Post by Jeff »

FG, just reach out to Aripeka Angler!! He is still around!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I called Weld Mount Adhesives and was told to use their at880 system for bonding.

It set me back about $250 for the adhesives, tips and gun. Ouch. But supposed to hold it.

All for sale on 12voltwarehouse.com

At880 glue 3x40
At388 gun. 80
At858 tips 2x17
Shipping 12$

Gonna see if the frames will glue to the cleats, but I plan to use some screws and cup washers as well.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Having some second thoughts now.

Mighta been easier to use wood and just paint it all..

The starboard probably won't support the spans of the top; neither will the coosa. So either I make the rails thicker on the top or?

Probably can't cuz want a drawer left lower cab.
040DD328-AA95-4B85-8CD2-B9CB7D6EBA8D.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Maybe a glassed coosa will work at 1".

Ugh.

Maybe the starboard will self support at 1.5"; doubt it. The span max is 22"

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

How about backing the Starboard with ply along the top edge?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

BrianC wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm How about backing the Starboard with ply along the top edge?
Yeah, something is needed to support the hardwood sapele top and screw it from underneath as well. I leaned the starboard rips on the wall yesterday and they take the shape left in.. But you can't glue it too easily, so maybe a hardwood cleat, then I can screw either direction to the starboard face and pull or up into the wooden countertop..