Central FL SK 14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Central FL SK 14

Post by Stinkyface »

Just started my kit. Transom and transom knees are already done.
Attachments
63FF16D6-77C2-4CA4-97CB-908392697F54.jpeg
D3ED59AE-B2B3-4B38-9E73-A7233FF3E8CD.jpeg

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Central FL SK 14

Post by Stinkyface »

A little more epoxy action here. Instead of gluing the joints and putting weight on them I wet out the end grain, screwed the pieces in place and smooshed thickened epoxy in there as best I could and made sure everything was nice and level. In a past build I put weight on the joints and they ended up being let’s just say off so I tried a method that I used with scarf joints.
Attachments
32B6AC58-61A8-4772-9538-86E788719D10.jpeg

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

even being screwed down there was some unevenness so the weights helped make sure the pieces were in line with where they needed to be.

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

Some more epoxy action this morning.
Attachments
35E9F494-9F8A-4CB6-B3F0-CBDB07452600.jpeg

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

My plan today was to try to get everything stitched together. Not gonna happen. I flipped the panels and stared to clean up the joints and found some areas I wanted to fix due to lack of glue. Overall the joint technique was successful. Made the table from scrap and used whatever plywood I had laying around and it is a bit too flexible which I think was the cause. Using slow hardener in Florida is usually a good idea but these slightly cooler temps are causing a heck of a lot longer cure time. When you cleaning up joints, how smooth should they be sanded? I feel like in some places I’m taking too much wood compared to epoxy due to the different cut rates of the materials.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I've struggled with the same thing of taking off too much wood when sanding off epoxy. What solved it for me was getting a good scraper and scraping the epoxy off instead. I sure recommend it.

Dougster

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

Thanks Dougster. I have been using credit card style hotel key cards accumulated during my travels as scrapers. Working on stitching today, pics if I get it done. It is difficult to find time to myself in these times... another question, I have read the directions several times and I’m not sure if I am missing something or not but how are the two sections of stringers secured to each other, or are they? Overlap ends and glue to make them full length? It looks like some people screwed them together with a temp backing plate.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

No overlap on the stringers--it's just a butt joint with fiberglass on both sides. Called a fiberglass splice maybe? No scarf and very strong. Check the tutorials. You butt them together with epoxy glue and cover one side with glass tape. Let it cure then gently turn it over and tape the other side. Also, re the scraper, I'm referring to scaping hardened epoxy with a metal scraper.

Dougster

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

Thanks for the help there! I figured either butt block or fiberglass splice but I just didn’t see it in the plans. Probably missed it....Been working on stitching for a few hours. I just can’t get that now to come together. At this point I’m getting pretty frustrated so I’m gonna walk away from it for the day. I’ve tried restitching the whole boat from the back to the bow. I’ve been sticking some pieces of plastic zip ties or whatever i can in that gap and the panels just keep running over themselves. I’ll try again tomorrow.
Attachments
F03A0AD1-37ED-46B5-8D9E-B0A1810DF028.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Put some 16 penny nails in the gap where the panels meet. Take your time and it will all work out :wink: