Central FL SK 14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Central FL SK 14

Post by BrianC »

I had the same problem. I got the first panels all done nice and tight and then couldn’t get the next parts to come together. What fixed the problem was to do all the zip ties really loose — don’t start to tighten them until they are all in place. Then tighten them in 3-4 stages. Also, be sure there are small gaps between the parts — small nails work well as spacers.

You can see the process on my SK14 build thread: https://www.community.boatbuildercentr ... 14&t=61727
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have tried the nails, everything is so tight, I almost get it and then they ride over each other again. And in my excitement to start my kit i forgot to save the negatives from the frames at your recommendation BrianC. I think today I may disassemble everything, fill the screw holes I made in the transom to hold the panels and splice the stringers. I am just going to take a big step back, take a breather and work on that if I can get a few minutes to myself today. Ultimately I am making a mistake somewhere.

Stinkyface
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkyface »

I also noticed some people did the bottom panels without the transom in place, what I have - in short- says stitch it all loosely, drop the transom in, screw, align and tighten the stitches.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 pm Put some 16 penny nails in the gap where the panels meet.
I second that.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie