17´bow rider options

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 17´bow rider options

Post by VT_Jeff »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:25 pm
...or food and beverages, i always allow 400lbs for this miscellaneous stuff.
400lbs of food/bev? Bro, I want to go to YOUR tailgate party!

:lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I didn't do it, but you can build the FS17 with a raised sheer.
If I was to do it again, I would have raised the sole another inch or more for true self bailing in more conditions as I built heaver than planned, this would then have made the shear seem even lower from inside.

If you could commit to a very light and simple build, the FS17 with raised shear might work for you, but I think the C17 would be the best choice for what you want.

our fs17 standard sheer

14ft plywood canoe
Me, wife, son, big dog
several days worth of luxury camping and food, 6man tent, 2 man tent, air mattresses, lots of bedding, WAY too much food, etc....
20gal of gas

no problems at all

we did a few trips with 5 people and full gas no problems, I think it would do fine with 6, probably just a little slower and sit a little lower. Anytime we are loaded I keep the plugs in, even raised 1/2" or so
Last edited by narfi on Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:25 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Samikoo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:42 pm
I did have the OB17 on my list...
yep, clearly you did, I've been staring at my screen too long!

As far as load, here are my very amateur calcs, please run your own as well:

1450 disp at dwl
750 for the hull
300 for the motor + battery + fuel(very very rough est)
= 1050,
leaving 400 lbs for humans at dwl

6 people @ 150 avg = 900lbs

so you're going to add 500 lbs over the design displacement @ 340 PPI, so basically 2 more inches.

If those 6 people are 2 adults and 4 growing children, I'd consider a bigger boat or you're gonna be way heavy by the time it's built!
Actually Vt_Jeff, I feel you are light on your weights and I totally agree with you. I did assume 6 adults at 175lbs, so I am a little heavier there.

I came up with 2900 lbs. You don't have anything in for boat gear(life jackets, anchor, etc) or play things or food and beverages, i always allow 400lbs for this miscellaneous stuff. The top speed I got with a 75HP was 28mph/45KM/h If he is happy with that and sitting lower in the water that is a decision he will have to make but i agree with you the OB19 would be a better choice for him. 6 people is also pretty crowded on a 17' boat unless just cruising. If only cruising two at the stern, two at the consoles and two in the bow would not be bad in a bow rider configuration. But again the weight and draft concerns me a little.

Samikoo if you still want to go with the OB17 I would go with a 90HP motor the Yamaha 90 weighs the same as the 75 and will give you a little more speed.

It would just be for cruising, normally there would be 2-4 people onboard. And I don't plan on camping on or with the boat, just small short trips with it.

And I'm not in a hurry, so a 75HP engine would be enough.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

narfi wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 pm I didn't do it, but you can build the FS17 with a raised sheer.
If I was to do it again, I would have raised the sole another inch or more for true self bailing in more conditions as I built heaver than planned, this would then have made the shear seem even lower from inside.

If you could commit to a very light and simple build, the FS17 with raised shear might work for you, but I think the C17 would be the best choice for what you want.
This is what I had in mind, but for some reason people are suggested to build double console boats based on the OB17. It seems heavier with the same setup, and has a lower sheer.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Samikoo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:04 pm
narfi wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:54 pm I didn't do it, but you can build the FS17 with a raised sheer.

This is what I had in mind, but for some reason people are suggested to build double console boats based on the OB17. It seems heavier with the same setup, and has a lower sheer.
I think the reason why the suggestion for the OB17 vs. FS17 is the OB17 is a larger boat and can handle 6 passengers, 6 on the FS17 for short trips only, it will feel crowded. The sheer on the OB is higher than the FS unless you build the raised sheer then it is about equal to the C. The C17 has the highest sheer, but only 2-3 inches more than the OB. I have been in all 3 boats and contest to this. I am 6' 3" tall and would be comfortable in either the OB, C or raised sheer FS. The FS feels very small to me. The C17 felt the largest. All the boats are very capable, Jacques does not design a bad boat. It just depends on what you want and what you are going to use is for. For just cruising all are fine. The FS will take you the least time to build the C the most.

Samikoo it is going to be your boat and it will last a long time, properly built and maintained. So you need to make the selection and build it like you want, that is the nice thing about building your own. Take your time and it will fall into place. All three are good boats. :D

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Samikoo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:04 pm This is what I had in mind, but for some reason people are suggested to build double console boats based on the OB17. It seems heavier with the same setup, and has a lower sheer.
A couple things to consider, everyone suggesting will have their own solutions to their own compromises in mind and be more likely to encourage you to take the same route they did. Example I built the fs17 so am more likely to recommend it than something I decided not to build. That's not a bad thing, but just be aware that we each have our own favorites we are more likely to suggest.

Weight.....
Building the hull shell is easy, its all the other stuff that adds complexity and weight and time, lots of time.
I chose the fs17 because it would be lighter and cheaper to build so I could use a smaller engine, or go faster with the same size engine. Then I built enough extra stuff into it that it was as heavy and expensive as any of the other choices...... Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, not marbles to bowling balls.

If you want a bigger deeper boat that feels like you are inside not ontop with dual windshield consoles, then consider and compare how each boat will weigh setup that way, If you want thick heavy gunnels you can sit on, then consider the weight and cost of how that will work on each of the boats you are considering, etc..... Some of them are designed that way already and so are designed as heavier boats, but if you take a lighter boat and add all that stuff you will end up with similar weight, but perhaps slightly under engineered on the underlaying structure.

I am happy with the results of my boat, and If I was to go back in time, I think I would do it again, however I have a much more realistic idea of how it all works now than I did when I started, if that makes sense?
I edited my earlier post above showing some loads and weights I have gone out with.

My wife was apprehensive of the feel of 'sitting above' the level of the gunnels, but after a few rides in it she feels safe and secure now, so it was not a big issue. It is a relatively dry ride and has been a fun way for us to get out this last summer.

Whatever you decide, I think you and your family and friends will have fun with it, and you will be proud of it. Everyone here will be cheering you on the whole way, so make sure you post lots of pictures and questions along the way. It is easier to fix something someone spotted the day you did it than be worried about it a year or two later when you have it out on the water and you are wondering if something might break because you had a piece 'left over' after you put it together ;P

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:25 pm 6 on the FS17 would be almost impossible
I would have no problem with 6 in mine with a full tank of gas and a basket full of hot dogs and marshmallows, but I would have to leave the dog at home......
and I don't really like people that much......

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

narfi wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:42 pm
TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:25 pm 6 on the FS17 would be almost impossible
I would have no problem with 6 in mine with a full tank of gas and a basket full of hot dogs and marshmallows, but I would have to leave the dog at home......
and I don't really like people that much......
:D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There is one thing that Narfi said that I want to confirm and make sure you know. Please feel free to ask questions once you start your build all of us have been there and done that and Jacques as the designer is always looking on also. We love to see photos of builds as they are going on and especially of finished builds as they are launched.

Tom

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Samikoo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:46 pm
Yes, I know.. It's funny how boats here in Finland weight 1200 lbs, and are still able to seat 7 persons. These are composite boats, but still. I can't build a bigger boat, I can't tow a bigger one. So for now, I'm stuck with the option of building a boat with less bulk and more sheer.
If anything a 17' plywood composite boat should hold more than a 17' single skin glass boat of the same dimensions. It will be as stable at lower weight. The FS17 is small for a 17', the C17 larger. I'm building a C17 and everyone that sees it comments on the size.

If you don't care about self bailing when loaded then the capacity will be whatever you can safely seat. Self bailing when loaded is not common on glass boats at that size, due to the increased weight. For a lake boat left on a trailer, I'd personally go for a lower sole for stability and use a pump. I will be using mine offshore, but have scuppers out the back. The sole will be left close to the designed height.