17´bow rider options

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 17´bow rider options

Post by OlivierP »

Did you consider the GV17 ? Seems to have the highest capacity amongst 17 footers, and reasonably high sheer. Exists in bow rider version.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

narfi wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:42 pm
TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:25 pm 6 on the FS17 would be almost impossible
I would have no problem with 6 in mine with a full tank of gas and a basket full of hot dogs and marshmallows, but I would have to leave the dog at home......
and I don't really like people that much......
Me too, I have a dog that I take everywhere with me, and I'm also not a big fan of people. I'm a teacher, so I have to deal with people on a daily basis, so maybe I wouldn't have 5 people with me when I go out boating...

I was thinking maybe 5" wide gunnels, really minimalistic consoles and so forth. The white OB17 with a red stripe, also built in Finland, looks good. The consoles are too big for my taste, but otherwise it seems to be a good starting point.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

OlivierP wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:56 am Did you consider the GV17 ? Seems to have the highest capacity amongst 17 footers, and reasonably high sheer. Exists in bow rider version.
No, not really. The looks of her don't float my boat, if you know what I mean... Otherwise it would be a really smart choice.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

I'm starting to think that the C17 would be the best option, allthough the engine would be limited to 50HP. I'll have to try and figure out the weight difference between the two, because at the moment it does not make sense to me, when looking at the BOM.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I'd go straight to the C17, if I were doing the same thing as you.

The first one built as a centre console, or at least I think the best known, is a beauty by a user Rmarsh. I would use pictures of his build as a starting point. It could be a terrific bowrider and I'd say 4 people easy and six on occasion...no problem in my mind.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Samikoo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:13 pm I'm starting to think that the C17 would be the best option, allthough the engine would be limited to 50HP. I'll have to try and figure out the weight difference between the two, because at the moment it does not make sense to me, when looking at the BOM.
I'm putting a 60hp on mine. According to the designer a "60hp or 75hp is fine, a 90hp is borderline and 115hp excessive."
Salty asked during his build. IF putting larger than say 75hp on you would need to double bottom and stringer glass, and also where it tabs to the transom. Moreover there's no need as the 60hp will push it as fast as you'd want it to go. If you really want more go for a C19 with 90hp as a standard engine.

You can build the C17 as standard without the cockpit roof, just the framing and use a canvas top to close it. That's an option that you could consider.

The C17 should weigh more than the OB17. I wouldn't focus overly much on hull weight. In some boats it includes fitting and rigging, in others a basic open version only. There are assumptions built in, including what options you will pick. Mine will be heavier than the published 300kg I'm sure. Focus on getting a good wetout so as not to waste epoxy, and also buying lighter plywood are the easiest ways to lose weight. Both boats have a similar DWL displacement and that is what matters. I have the plans for both, so if you want to make any comparisions I can do it for you.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 pm
Samikoo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:13 pm I'm starting to think that the C17 would be the best option, allthough the engine would be limited to 50HP. I'll have to try and figure out the weight difference between the two, because at the moment it does not make sense to me, when looking at the BOM.
I'm putting a 60hp on mine. According to the designer a "60hp or 75hp is fine, a 90hp is borderline and 115hp excessive."
Salty asked during his build. IF putting larger than say 75hp on you would need to double bottom and stringer glass, and also where it tabs to the transom. Moreover there's no need as the 60hp will push it as fast as you'd want it to go. If you really want more go for a C19 with 90hp as a standard engine.

You can build the C17 as standard without the cockpit roof, just the framing and use a canvas top to close it. That's an option that you could consider.

The C17 should weigh more than the OB17. I wouldn't focus overly much on hull weight. In some boats it includes fitting and rigging, in others a basic open version only. There are assumptions built in, including what options you will pick. Mine will be heavier than the published 300kg I'm sure. Focus on getting a good wetout so as not to waste epoxy, and also buying lighter plywood are the easiest ways to lose weight. Both boats have a similar DWL displacement and that is what matters. I have the plans for both, so if you want to make any comparisions I can do it for you.
Thank you, I'll let you know if there is something that needs comparing.

I'm looking at alternative plywoods, but there aren't that many to choose from here. I know I shouldn't stress too much about the hull weight, but I'm an automotive engineer so I do tend to overcomplicate things in my mind.

I've looked at Salty's and Rmarsh's builds, they are both built kind of close to what I had in mind.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Hello Samikoo....I built a C17 .....center console version...and put a 60 HP on it. Higher cockpit depth is one of my favorite features of this design. My fishing grounds are out in a choppy bay here in the northeast....passing through a turbulent river inlet to get out there and back. Its nice to have the feeling of being "in" a boat rather than just on one. I can tell my passengers feel safer too. I've had four adults aboard....more than that would not be very good. The one negative trait of the higher sides is more windage when docking or drift fishing.....but I can deal with that.

Samikoo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Samikoo »

Rmarsh wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:27 am

Hello Samikoo....I built a C17 .....center console version...and put a 60 HP on it. Higher cockpit depth is one of my favorite features of this design. My fishing grounds are out in a choppy bay here in the northeast....passing through a turbulent river inlet to get out there and back. Its nice to have the feeling of being "in" a boat rather than just on one. I can tell my passengers feel safer too. I've had four adults aboard....more than that would not be very good. The one negative trait of the higher sides is more windage when docking or drift fishing.....but I can deal with that.
I've looked at your boat several times, it sure is nice. Especially the build quality is great. Did you ever weigh her?

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Samikoo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:13 am I've looked at your boat several times, it sure is nice. Especially the build quality is great. Did you ever weigh her?
No......never got a chance to weigh the hull. With the 60 HP 240 lb. outboard mounted on the transom, the hull floats level and very close to the designed waterline.
The boat gets up on plane very easily and quickly. Also the C17 design has a motorwell bulkhead, it keeps the water that gets past the transom from entering the cockpit .