C17

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
mehmetkaru

C17

Post by mehmetkaru »

I am planing to build C17. Which size of plywood boards should I use. Are the 170cmx220cm boards suitable for the plans. this size mostly produced in Turkey. I may find 125cmx250cm imported boards if necesary.
instead of 9 mm can I use 10 mm .

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C17

Post by jacquesmm »

Check the nesting drawing. Almost all my drawings are based on US standard sheets 255 by 122 cm but there is often some space left to use smaller sheets. I am on the road and do not have the plans with me.
In all cases, you can build the boat from different sheet sizes by nesting parts differently.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

More important than the size is that it is proper marine BS1088 or higher plywood. 5 layers for 6mm

I did some quick calculations from my plans and have the following tentative information: If you were building on 1700mm by 2200mm sheets, the side panels and decks would fit as is on the 5 allowed sheets, you could probably fit the bottom panels on the four sheets with an extra splice near the bow. Front decks one sheet and rubrail would probably fit on offcuts.

I don't see any problem with frames etc as you have more area on each sheet to play with, and no piece requires the full 250cm length. You might need to redo nesting to get the best use of plywood. I changed the nesting for my frames to better economise the initial purchase, and minimise storage of offcuts for the first part of the build.

In a nutshell there's no reason you couldn't build a C17 on that sized sheets if the ply is good quality.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

9mm and 10mm are basically the same size it just depends on the final sanding by the manufacturer. We have many builders in Turkey, maybe one of them will see your post and respond.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978