Wood oars

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
sweetcraver
New Poster
New Poster

Wood oars

Post by sweetcraver »

I’m looking for 6 1/2 fr wood oars for my 14 1/2’ replica Old Florida fish camp rental rowboat.
The oars I ordered were a disappointment and I’m returning them. They don’t have the heft and feel of the period oars.
I’d rather pay for a pair of sturdy oars than spend a couple of years learning to craft them myself.
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Bill S. Lakeland fl
9AEB4298-36AC-4682-BFBD-F92993B0D060.jpeg
sweetcraver

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Wood oars

Post by cape man »

They aren't a bargain, but these look pretty traditional...
https://www.shawandtenney.com/product-c ... ional-oars

These are a little easier on the wallet...
https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boat-gear/oars/

There are also quite a few used pairs on Ebay...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Vintag ... SweWNconzy
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

sweetcraver
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sweetcraver »

Thanks. The high end option, as much as it is, looks like the way to go. The alternatives would be a cheap pair of oars that would haunt me for years, paying even more for Sturdy vintage oars or buying a couple of expensive planks of ash, spending a couple of months learning to make my own, then buying another couple of planks of ash, repeat the above, hoping to get it right this time.
After all the work I've spent working on the boat, may as well finish up the project right.

the shot below shows the stages in getting to the big one. the dimensions were copied from the decaying remains of the real thing
drone shot 4 boats copy.jpg
sweetcraver

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Sometimes spending the extra up front is the cheapest way to go. Keeps you from buying many times to get to where you really need to be.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:51 pm Sometimes spending the extra up front is the cheapest way to go. Keeps you from buying many times to get to where you really need to be.
This. Especially if the items is going to be something that impacts satisfaction. Knowing that you skimped tends to eat the joy of ownership.

That said, my Lil Bit gets a lot of "economy" stuff (anyone brings up the EMC paint and there will be trouble). That is because I know I will break them before they wear out. She's a "work boat" of sorts. But there are a few things that I know are so important to the real enjoyment FOR ME that I refuse to skimp. I have one block on board and it cost more than my oars. The inexpensive block that was replaced fell to pieces 2yrs after I bought it. The Harken looks brand new. But every time I pull the sheet through that overpriced pulley I smile. Worth every penny.

I vote for the fancy, makes you smile, stupidly expensive oars. But only if you are sure it will put a smile on your face with every stroke.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

sweetcraver
New Poster
New Poster

Post by sweetcraver »

Ain’t it the hard learned truth.
sweetcraver

cape man

Post by cape man »

Really cool project!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman