How to archive your builds to your own system

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: How to archive your builds to your own system

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:43 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm I use firefox on windows. I just hit Print All from the wrench and then from the Firefox menu click Save As |Complete HTML. Done.
If you look at a print preview does it paginate properly? We have seen that some browsers split a photo over two pages or add odd formatting. The work around is to load the saved web archive into a WYSIWYG tool to reset pagination.
When I open the saved HTML, it's continuous, no paging at all, looks fine.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:54 pm
Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:43 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm I use firefox on windows. I just hit Print All from the wrench and then from the Firefox menu click Save As |Complete HTML. Done.
If you look at a print preview does it paginate properly? We have seen that some browsers split a photo over two pages or add odd formatting. The work around is to load the saved web archive into a WYSIWYG tool to reset pagination.
When I open the saved HTML, it's continuous, no paging at all, looks fine.
File —> print and print to PDF. Does the resulting PDF keep images intact? Do the pages look the same as the browser?

Do not do a ctl-p unless you own stock in a toner company.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:57 pm File —> print and print to PDF. Does the resulting PDF keep images intact? Do the pages look the same as the browser?

The PDF looks ok, no broken photos but it does need to jam everything into a printabale page format which is a little weird.

For my archiving purposes, the saved HTML file is better than a pdf so the pdf format doesn't concern me. The pdf may feel a little more "portable" but the saved html is easy to port as well, all the photos etc just go into a single folder in the saved location.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:57 pm
I don't even own toner! That's the devils dust!

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi Jayson,
This is very good I have saved my thread and even printed the first 10 pages, but best of all is that I have all the pictures in chronological order and have seen things I have forgotten already. It is also nice to save other Builders threads to study the printed version just like reading a book. Congratulations to this improvement.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433