LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LB26

Post by Jaysen »

Alternatively… spray. I avoided it way too long but once you figure it out you’ll never consider rolling again.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:51 am Alternatively… spray. I avoided it way too long but once you figure it out you’ll never consider rolling again.
Also, not bad advice. Spraying is not without nuance, but it is less laborius. I did not have a good enough air dryer for my compressor, for example. But you can buy sprayers that don't require compressed air.

spraying isocyanates also should have positive air systems to avoid killing any newbies here
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning Dan

From reading your reply I am I think carrying out the process roughly as you say, the roller could be the issue though. Also I feel the hull is too hot and because I am in basically a tent it is like an oven, the aircon units do not work as they should in this environment.

If I am understanding correct the less paint is best ? and orange peel is ok until the last coat making sure you have lost all the orange peel with 400 grit, then a thinned down final coat ( then pray !!! ) When rolling to get the paint on to the surface are you saying you should only go one way ? so start the roller at the top and go down to the chine then repeat ? this relates to your comment about not going over and over the area more than necessary, the tricky part is not getting dry spots... Sorry if these question sound stupid it is just that I have to get this right somehow.

I tried to contact the roller company you suggested but they do not respond, I wonder if it is because I am over here it goes straight into a spam file.... If you have the time I would be grateful if you could drop them a mail and see if they a UK or European outlets.

I am of to Holland for a fishing competition next week so I am going to stop work until I get back and hope the temperatures will have dropped.

Jaysen I love the idea of spraying but I think I would need to practise quite a bit before attempting over 20sqm of hull :help:

Cheers for all the advice, please keep it coming this one is really wearing me down.... it is a monster hull to keep sanding in these temperatures !!

Les

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Dan

I have just received an email from Bob Shaw Nour Painting Tools Canada to say those sleeves are only available to buy by the container load !!! from Egypt....

So not sure I can buy them, I will search but not looking good.

Cheers

Les

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

les2021 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:14 am Dan

I have just received an email from Bob Shaw Nour Painting Tools Canada to say those sleeves are only available to buy by the container load !!! from Egypt....

So not sure I can buy them, I will search but not looking good.

Cheers

Les
Call Noah's Marine in Toronto and ask for Jason Steeves and see if he'll ship you a case.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

les2021 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:39 am Morning Dan

From reading your reply I am I think carrying out the process roughly as you say, the roller could be the issue though. Also I feel the hull is too hot and because I am in basically a tent it is like an oven, the aircon units do not work as they should in this environment.

If I am understanding correct the less paint is best ? and orange peel is ok until the last coat making sure you have lost all the orange peel with 400 grit, then a thinned down final coat ( then pray !!! ) When rolling to get the paint on to the surface are you saying you should only go one way ? so start the roller at the top and go down to the chine then repeat ? this relates to your comment about not going over and over the area more than necessary, the tricky part is not getting dry spots... Sorry if these question sound stupid it is just that I have to get this right somehow.

I tried to contact the roller company you suggested but they do not respond, I wonder if it is because I am over here it goes straight into a spam file.... If you have the time I would be grateful if you could drop them a mail and see if they a UK or European outlets.

I am of to Holland for a fishing competition next week so I am going to stop work until I get back and hope the temperatures will have dropped.

Jaysen I love the idea of spraying but I think I would need to practise quite a bit before attempting over 20sqm of hull :help:

Cheers for all the advice, please keep it coming this one is really wearing me down.... it is a monster hull to keep sanding in these temperatures !!

Les
I did not ever say to only roll one way. The roller must go over the area enough to make the coat even, but not so much paint it cannot be repeated all the way. And you cannot make large overlaps, but you must attempt to make even the overlaps evened out after you apply the paint.

The simple idea is to lay down a thin, very even coat of paint. But early coat thinning lowers the build rate for coats to be sanded. Thinning paint is often poorly understood by us diy folks. The purpose for thinning is to get the paint to lay down well, but it can't happen if the other conditions are not met.

You don't need to use Nour if you cannot find them, but a 3mm non-seamed foam roller is best.

Orange peel is basically hills of excess paint, or paint that has not flowed out. But too thick a roller and too narrow a rolller cover is causing lots of trouble because it is resulting in too many layers of paint. However, orange peel early is a fact of life. You just have to get to the final finish and hope for less; or tip it all. Tipping is not ez either. But tipping may help you understand if you are flowing too much paint with the roller.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Let me know if you can buy a case from Canada.

I ordered these on Amazon today. They may work if seamless

FoamPRO 207 Faom Paint Rollers, 7" x 3/16" https://a.co/d/2i107fW

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, the foampro rollers I bought are seamed; so no go.

How goes the battle Les?

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Afternoon Dan

Bum !!! I have just got back from my fishing match in Holland. Nicki is in the UK visiting family and is bringing back the foampro rollers.....

I will ring her and set her a task to find the right rollers before she gets back next on Tuesday :D Wish me luck !!

Will let you know how it goes, the good news is the temperatures are dropping.

Cheers

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Morning All

Well Dan I have at last managed to get the boat painted as the temperatures have now dropped enough to get the hull temperature low enough not to evaporate the thinners. It has been a real trial of patience and frustration and has cost many cold beers to get me trough :D

I had a couple of little orange peel areas but I have buffed them out and I am happy with the results, is it factory finish no.... is it perfect no... but then I was once told seeking perfection is the road to ruin !!! As a first venture into boat build I am over the moon and looking forward to the next stage.

All the through hole fittings and cleats / fareleads / windlass / tank fill etc are in place and fitted, I have checked all pipe connections etc and am about to glue and tape cockpit walls, so I am now going onto the fun fitting out part.

Will once again post some very bad photos.

Cheers All
46CFA931-D1C0-48DB-9394-D65CCE6AD5AF.jpeg
0EE505A6-E861-4D28-BADD-6A683A5D952C.jpeg
6F46FFA6-5830-4DF4-837F-28D890ACA7B8.jpeg