LB26

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LB26

Post by jacquesmm »

The 6 mm diameter is for "fusible" bolts as I call them. They should not break under normal use.
Anyway, that is TBP.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Make sure you use marine aluminun 5052 or 6061. Then coat with aluminum cromate and good primer and marine paint, severeal coats. The Navy has used aluminum for decades and they last for decades. The major builder of platforms Armstrong uses aluminum and ship them all over the world. Don't let fallguys adversion to aluminum sway you against it.

Your platform will last your lifetime and as long as the boast.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:24 pm Make sure you use marine aluminun 5052 or 6061. Then coat with aluminum cromate and good primer and marine paint, severeal coats. The Navy has used aluminum for decades and they last for decades. The major builder of platforms Armstrong uses aluminum and ship them all over the world. Don't let fallguys adversion to aluminum sway you against it.

Your platform will last your lifetime and as long as the boast.

Tom
Tom- you never cease to end up offending people on a friendly forum. I am building a boat with massive amounts of aluminum. It has its place. You can learn something here. There is no need to refer to me in your post; none.

And the word, which you have used falsely to identify and attach to me is aversion; not adversion.

I also showed Les how aluminum can be faster here; so you are off base. Check your words and stop saying things that are simply not true.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Let's not get in arguments and keep it technical.
When working with Al. follow the instructions of the paint providers: the Al must be activated (grind down) then very quickly painted with zinc chromate (before Al oxide reappears) followed by a solid coat of primer and paint. I like epoxy tar but it is not very elegant.
All that is listed and shown in the thread I listed above, with pictures.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 amSome of the picture links are broken but we are working on it.
Sorry about that Jacques. I have made changes to the webserver to correct the image links with no need to update individual threads. If you find any more broken images let me know.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I emailed Jeff about it.
I don't work on the site anymore and don't know what changes were made but the pics still exist, they are in the gallery.

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Hi Guys

Sorry for the lack of posts. So thanks all for the swim platform input so far.....

Had a bit of set back this week. Got taken into hospital on Monday, they found some blood clots in my lower leg :? They reckon it was probably down to my flight to Italy last month. BIG BUMMER so been on a drip and god nows how many injections and tests for the past four days. Just got home so probably no boat building until next week.

Life does throw some crap at you time to time, but I am one of the lucky ones I went to the hospital in time !!!

So will post next week.

Cheers

Les

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Dan

The sealing / bedding compound 4200 / 5200 The only product I can find here at the moment is Tikal Marine Systems Contact 12, if you get a chance can you have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers

Les

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good they caught those clots. The vaccine can cause them. If they get to the heart; serious problems like stroke can occur, so glad you caught it.

I am not anti-vaxxer. Just stating some known facts.

I looked and that adhesive will be fine, but pay attention to the skinover time which is fast at 10-15 minutes. It basically means after applied; you have about 8 minutes to stick it or less in hot sun or it won't bond properly.

Hope you get a good recovery.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

les2021
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by les2021 »

Hi Guys

Happy New Year to you all. I hope you all had a fab Christmas and New Year celebrations. Let building commence !!!

Managed to get back in the workshop today, fairing, fairing and a little more fairing.... It is starting to pay off I THINK.

Just need to go back to the swim platform subject again.... I am happy with the transom fixings but forgot all about the side rails, these travel down the hull about 670mm, are these fixed in the same manor.

I have attached some bad photos !!!!

Les
2efde5c7-3d53-4f7d-9f5b-3dab057db482.JPG
75a90c2d-4edf-4b6c-afaf-7c7e68f715d0.JPG
Attachments
03e209de-58a7-464e-95ea-f598faa271ab.jpeg