Carbon Fiber FS14 LS

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Carbon Fiber FS14 LS

Post by cracked_ribs »

It'd be a lot of work to "bright finish" a CF hull but that would be an absolute show-stopper of a boat if you did. Since it sounds like you have access to materials and knowledge to do this, I think you are morally obligated to make it happen.

An all-CF finished flats skiff is boat building rockstardom, I say damn the torpedos and full speed ahead.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

You actually want Kevlar on the INSIDE if you're trying for best properties.

Kevlar is strong in tension but quite low in compression. When you bend a hull panel inward, the inside is in tension and outside is in compression.

Thus it's best to use the Kevlar on inside.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would not bother with Kevlar it is hard to wet out and handle and for an FS14LS you are not going to be hitting the rocks and all that a white water canoe would be hitting. :lol: I worked for one of the premier WW canoeist in the world, he built and sold his canoes of foam, Kevlar and aramid. They cost mucho, but could take a licking and come back kicking. I saw the one he used on the lower Niagara Falls descent and it was all dented up. He made several first descents all over the world. His friends would come into the rafting company where I worked and some of there boats would also be dented up. I would build the inside of fiberglass layers. You have a great handle on the carbon fiber/foam from Evan. We are lucky to have him as a board leader.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

My question would be: if you have access to CNC to make foam or other plugs or molds, why build around a stitch and glue design? You have more open shape options.

In that case I’d be drawing my own boat, or adapting something like one of the Morejohn skiff designs.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Normally I'd agree with that, but the FS14LS looks really sexy as is. Not much you can do with a flats skiff like that I think. I would love to be proven wrong though; we don't have any flats boats in NZ.

Although I view CF and foam as an expensive way to build a marginally(in the sizes and types I use) better boat, I am always keen to see others try it. Go for it, and post photos!